E-W and N-S loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Probably a stupid question - but here goes. My nephew just dropped off 2 cords of well seasoned Ash for me. The only problem is that it is cut all to 14 inches in length. Most of his customers like that size. Anyway, the Buck can take splits up to at least 20 inches and maybe longer. Question is- can I load some of the splits E-W in the back and more in the front going N-S ? Any problems doing this ? Told ya' it was stupid but better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for not laughing.........

Edit. forgot to mention that some are much shorter in order to go N-S.

The only "worry" is that the N/S allows the air to penetrate and so you may need to shut the air a little sooner and more aggressively to avoid hitting higher temps than you want.

Far as I am concerned loading different ways is a tool.

Reactions: Dix
Nice score on the ash!!

You'll figure it out. Burn shorts / uglies when you are home, longer for overnights.

I prefer N-S in my Mansfield , as stated , it gets up to temperature twice as fast as E-W. But you need to keep an eye on the fire so you can cut the air back faster to prevent overfiring.
In my Mansfield ,loading on a bed of coals, E-W would take about an hour for the stove to come up to temp. to where I can have the air supply cut down to where I can leave it and go to bed or to work. N-S allows for an easier and more compact loading of the the wood, very quick ignition and over all 20 min to 30 min to where I can leave it to go to bed or to work.
Cutting and splitting 14"-16" vs 20", which my Mansfield will take ,would equate to cutting and splitting 15% to 20% more wood pieces to get the same volume of wood stacked.