EAB recovery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
We are in my estimation year 6 since the first signs of the emerald Ash borer. They seemed to get all the ash trees in the bush. However, this past summer was very rainy. By late summer when going for a walk in my woods I noticed some of the ash trees had sprouted and thrown out leaves in the tree tops. I was surprised to see this , with the glimmer of hope some may survive? I am pretty sure that these were trees that did not have any sign of growth the previous year. Has anyone seen this also? Was I just seeing trees on their last ditch effort at life? Anyone who has had the infestation seen any glimmer of hope for this tree species? I'm thinking the EAB migrated from the south and I'm in Ontario Canada. Meaning some/many people are a few years or so ahead of our devastation.

It just hit us here in the North Carolina mountains two years ago. It is hammering the ash trees all around here. Bad deal.

The beetle took out thousands of ash trees around our city. The city crews removed the rest live ash trees in a preventative fashion.
I walked my cottage lot last summer and was very surprised to see one large ash tree very alive.

The beetle took out thousands of ash trees around our city. The city crews removed the rest live ash trees in a preventative fashion.
I walked my cottage lot last summer and was very surprised to see one large ash tree very alive.
They should leave the ones that are alive. The longer they live, the more chance they will develop resistance. Ugh!

I thought that too. Too late

here in central PA we are pretty much at the 10 year mark since the EAB. . . total devastation its a shame. . . we have some handle/bat plants around here and the ball bat guys have already switched to hard maple. . . one handle plant is still sourcing ash logs from NE PA/ NY its a shame. . . we used to saw a fair amount of ash lumber at our sawmill and now we don't even get enough to make a 'run' of it. the few ash logs we get that are solid we sell to the handle plant

In NEPA we've had the EAB present for at least 5 years, just took down 14 of them (some 100'+ tall) that were threatening our house or yard and they've been dead at least 1 1/2 years. But the younger ash, less than 10-20 years, seem to be unaffected and healthy. Especially after the canopy opened up some. Maybe there's hope yet...

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
Here is a great recent article that may describe what you are seeing. https://phys.org/news/2019-09-ash-tree-species-survive-emerald.html
What a great story with a tragic ending in general. That would have been quite a stand of ash to see. I am planning on leaving any ash trees with any live canopy left. Maybe they will be survivors. I actually found my first beetle yesterday in a standing dead tree that I took down. I had great pleasure in squishing the guts out of it... terrible bug.

What a great story with a tragic ending in general. That would have been quite a stand of ash to see. I am planning on leaving any ash trees with any live canopy left. Maybe they will be survivors. I actually found my first beetle yesterday in a standing dead tree that I took down. I had great pleasure in squishing the guts out of it... terrible bug.
Interesting. Our place by Algonquin has very few Ash. Mostly maple hemlock birch beech and spruce.

Just two weeks ago, the power company here got a crew to go around, and whack every dead elm that threatens power lines. There's a lot of 'em. Sad to see.
And the bug just hit here, two years ago.

I lost almost all my ash trees, especially the big ones three to four years ago here in central ohio. There's still a few standing / leaning dead ones to deal with as time and weather allow. I have noticed maybe two or three of the bigger ash on my property seemed to be unaffected, and I have an absurd number of ash saplings coming up from seeds or underground roots. I'm inclined to transplant a few of these around and see what happens, but I'm not too hopeful about restoring a legitimate stand of ash.

Interesting. Our place by Algonquin has very few Ash. Mostly maple hemlock birch beech and spruce.
Algonquin would be considered central Ontario, and yes I agree very few ash trees, mostly spruce with birch and your just on the edge of maple territory. Here in southern Ontario (4 -5 hours south) Ash is/was very common and even dominant in some bushes. Next time you cross the border and are driving, have a look at the bushes along the highway, you will definitely see the dead Ash in most of the bush stands. Or notice the mess of fallen trees in the woods. At this stage in our infestation, most of the standing dead are going down and the firewood in these trees can be less than optimal as many are going "punky"

Just two weeks ago, the power company here got a crew to go around, and whack every dead elm that threatens power lines. There's a lot of 'em. Sad to see.
And the bug just hit here, two years ago.
Simonkenton, are you saying the EAB has turned it's sites onto ELM where you are? That is horrible if it's the case. We don't have hardly any elm left after the Dutch elm disease 25-30 years ago, but it is worrisome if the bug has adapted to eat other species. I recall reading about this possibility/fear. I hope you made a slight typo instead?

That was a typo. I meant that the ash trees are kaput.

In my area the mortality is about 75% of Ash left standing. They actually appear to hit the younger trees first around here. They are done in usually one year (under 12 DBH). The older trees a two to three year process. Before they're "last breath" some try to sucker out from near the ground but the too succum in a few months. Ones I've u down with 6 months of dying already have some deterioration of the wood in the summer growth rings. With the bark on it goes punky quick. I don't see any " recovery" going on year after the last leaf falls after the growing season.