New to the Forum - Crown Royal 7400MP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I see it's been upgraded to 12 volt
Yes it has !!!

@salecker nice catch Thomas, I didn't notice that on my initial look!
The guy I got it from pulled it out of a grove of trees with a stuck engine and no rear-end. He totally rebuilt it in the mid 80's along with a NOS Allis rear-end. I'm stoked to get it home and put it to use. Not sure for what as I bought a Briggs Innovation splitter for my mini-ex so I let my BIL have the red splitter. He'll need a tractor to power it .... hmmmm .....

This 041 was my Pops first saw and he brought it over a few months back. I messed with it a while ago but couldn't make it run well so I ordered a carb kit, fuel lines and a spark plug. After installing that stuff it runs like a dream ! This thing is a beast but it'll rattle your fillings out compared to my MS250 😂
KIMG2186.JPG

In unrelated farming things ...... This is a 30' Case IH 1020 flex header with a Carry Wind System. Last fall whilst using it to harvest soybeans the floor pans for all boogered up when Pops tried reversing a big slug out of the combine and it did this.
KIMG2180.JPG

We removed the bent up old pans and began cleaning out all the nooks and crannies.
KIMG2181.JPG

Old ones out ! I have an idea for them already so I'm not scrapping them just yet. I want to build a toolbox of sorts to hold my hydraulic pump on my Freightliner.
KIMG2182.JPG

A few hours later the new pans are installed and the head is ready to be used again this fall !
KIMG2184.JPG

Nice cooler morning so we figured we'd do wood things today !!
KIMG2201.JPG

Work smarter and use the mini to hold the logs in the air to cut them !
KIMG2204.JPG

Load 1 of the day ! Roughly 1.5 cord in the trailer.
KIMG2205.JPG

Reactions: hobbyheater
The mini works much better loading the big splitters than my skiddy ! Way easier to maneuver the logs and I can see soooooo much better.
KIMG2206.JPG

Loaded up ready to head for home. I threw a couple ratchet straps on just for funsies. Really didn't want to have to pick a log off the side of the road.
KIMG2207.JPG

2nd load of splitters !
KIMG2208.JPG

Last load loaded with a couple IBC totes for my brother in law. If they weren't so dang expensive to acquire I'd really consider getting a bunch to use my the boiler. Cut, load the totes and bring them to the stove as needed. I'd need a bunch though as a full tote lasts 2.5 days when it's real cold. A good 2.75 cord or so on this load.
KIMG2210.JPG

Five loads or roughly 7 cord cut and ready for next year !! Pretty stoked to actually be getting ahead already !!
KIMG2212.JPG

Let me tell you how happy my wife is that logs have been showing up in the side yard ......
KIMG2213.JPG

My boiler pad is getting to full to cut wood on it so I decided to cut some up on the pile. Seems to work okay but I don't really like the wood chips here 😐
KIMG2342.JPG

I loaded it up with the skeleton rock bucket and got it stacked by the boiler. Five more rows and it'll be pretty full !! Roughly 12' long rows, 2' wide and 7'ish high so 6-7 cord more and I'm done gathering for the coming burning season !! Sort of excited for that !!
KIMG2359.JPG

In non wood related news .... Pops and I hauled 1350bu of oats to my place today .....
KIMG2361.JPG

It's some dusty itchy stuff boy oh boy .....
KIMG2360.JPG

Full on 3M respirator in here or you'll be coughing for days. Cleaning grain bins has to be one of my least favorite jobs on the farm .....
KIMG2363.JPG

We got my hopper bin full and had an entire load extra. A neighbor is going to buy it to feed to his calves so it'll stick close to home. Those calves will eventually end up in my barn so that's neat I guess lol.
KIMG2362.JPG

Total opposite of wood related ..... I found a sweet iron pile in the woods not far from home and worked a deal with the owner to make it mine. This will set me up for a loooooong time with misc iron to be used on the farm !! This is the first of 4-5 loads/trips like this :)
KIMG2358.JPG

Hauled the last load of scrap home. I sure do like this truck !!
KIMG2364.JPG

I acquired this auger a decade ago and finally figured out what to do with it!! First thing is drag it to my place. It doesn't have a hitch so I put it in the back of the dump wagon and chained it down. It worked great 😃
KIMG2368.JPG

I used my ultra professional rigging skills to take the undercarriage apart from the auger itself ....
KIMG2374.JPG

It came apart very nicely considering it's 50yrs old and rusted all over !!
KIMG2375.JPG

Revision 1.0 is way too tall 🤣
KIMG2390.JPG

Revision 2.0 seems way better !! If y'all couldn't tell it's going to be a swing set..... Still needs the chains and seats of course but I'll use the ones from the old one we have already.
KIMG2397.JPG

The far end will have a rope hanging down with a wooden swing saucer deal and the close end will have monkey bars welded onto the end with a fire pole somewhere as well. Gotta figure that out yet.
KIMG2398.JPG

Main part of the swing set is done and kiddos seem to approve !!
KIMG2404.JPG

Next up is monkey bars. They kept saying Dad we HAVE to have monkey bars !!!!!! Well okay. They found one of my campfire wheelchairs and we're wheeling around in it lol
KIMG2412.JPG

The whole thing is assembled and they love it !!
KIMG2419.JPG

This should past longer than the cheap wood ones we've been buying every couple years.
KIMG2421.JPG

It has been hot and dry here all summer and I have been able to get corners of our meadows cut that we haven't been able to cut in over 10 years.
KIMG2443.JPG

Om nom nom Ruby the Roll Belt baler is gobbling hay up like a fat kid eating cake packing 1400 to 1500lbs of beautiful second cutting hay into each round bale.
KIMG2443 (1).JPG

Score !! On the way to my field I spied a pile of wood so I called the landowner and asked what they were going to do with it. I laughed when he said he figured I would call when I came to bale my hay and I could have it if I wanted it.
KIMG2444.JPG

Last edited:
Kiddos wanted me to take a picture of them in the wood pile so here it is !! I think another 4 rows and the pad will be full. The center of the stack is over 6' high and the outsides are 5ish so there should be a strong 20 cord there when it's filled in. Sweet deal !!
KIMG2448.JPG

Hoses came for the wood splitters so I am hoping to get them finished up and finally use mine early next week !!
KIMG2453.JPG

@jblnut I am still working on summer project man, got some hay to mow and square bale yet for a buddy, and still working on painting the 1066, had to delay to bale hay and get tractors running to do that last week, dad decided we ( meaning I) needed to bale some to help a 90+ year old neighbor lady out, full time job and doing farm/shop stuff takes up a lot of time lol!

Reactions: sloeffle and jblnut
@jblnut the 1066 is going slow with all the other projects, lol, just got a call from another neighbor/friend that is going to make some idiot cubes this afternoon, I am his on call baler mechanic, hoping it all goes smooth for him. I mowed some last night that I am giving some to a buddy that helps me wrench and I owe him, and then sell some to another neighbor. Mostly I want to do it to finish getting the baler set right, dang thing has given me fits this year.

Reactions: jblnut
Hello my fab shop owner buddy !! I got a few chunks split with it but no action shots yet as we had to go to the neighbors place to put the other one on his mini. I plan to split one day this week and I'll post some action shots !!
KIMG2469 (1).JPG

Last edited:
I hauled three loads of hay to a buddy's place last week. His ground didn't do so well this year and I had extra so it only made sense.
KIMG2471.JPG

Oh boy I sure like this splitter !
KIMG2475.JPG

This pile took around an hour to do. Amazing !
KIMG2478.JPG

Pops and I started putting the perlins on the lean-to so we can enclose it.
KIMG2485.JPG

The little guy wanted to help so we put him to work !
KIMG2487.JPG

I've been gathering leftover lumber for a few years and have enough to do the lean-to finally but some of it is a bit twisty so Pops had to encourage it into place.
KIMG2486.JPG

Wa bam ! Gotta take the Ivory pieces off the top and it's ready for clear tin on top and brown stuff on the bottom.
KIMG2489.JPG

Started in on cutting up the two big pile of logs by the house. My poor little MS250 is really getting a workout !
KIMG2506.JPG

Hey look ! Coal !
KIMG2517.JPG

Figured I'd start small and only get three bags to see how it works to supplement the crappy poplar, pine and basswood I'll be burning this winter. I plan to toss in some wood and throw some coal on it then more wood on top. Sort of a coal sandwich I guess 🤣
KIMG2516.JPG

Moar wood splittering !
KIMG2520.JPG

I split all this stuff right into the trailer. This was load two of the day split. Crazy to think that the boiler will eat this trailer full in a week to heat the house and shop when it's butt cold outside in January 🤣
KIMG2521.JPG

Harvest 2023 has begun !
KIMG2526 (1).JPG

Soybeans are ready first this year so we'll get them done and move into corn hopefully this coming week.
KIMG2527.JPG

If the moisture is right we'll go all night 😜
KIMG2532.JPG

I put LED lights on the combine this summer and wowser are they bright ! You could hardly see the ground with the old ones and you can see a few townships away with these 😆
KIMG2533.JPG

We got rained out last night, not a lot but enough to stop us. Today it is drizzling on and off so I decided to split more wood.
KIMG2535.JPG

The pile is almost full ! If this isn't enough wood for the winter I'll have a stove for sale spring 2024 🤣 There will be well over 20 cord on the pile. It's 5' high around the outside edges and over 6-1/2' in the middle. The math says 25 cord on the 24x24 pad at 6' average with a 5x5 area out of it by the stove but that sure seems like a lot ......
KIMG2536.JPG

The next patch I'll be working on turning into heat is over there. A mix of boxelder, poplar, ash and red and white oak. We'll be able to gain roughly 3 acres by having that grove out of there plus the trees won't be shading the field anymore so it'll be like gaining 5ish acres. Should be a few years of wood in there to boot ! I have a few dozen groves like this I want gone so wood supply isn't the issue, it's the time to actually get it cut and home lol
KIMG2531.JPG

Reactions: cumminstinkerer
It rained and the soybeans.oicked up moisture like they do so we moved into corn !!
KIMG2545.JPG

600 bushels in the front wagon and 250 bushels in the rear wagon going into the wet holding bin.
KIMG2548.JPG

From there it goes up another auger into the corn dryer then another auger into one of the storage bins.
KIMG2546.JPG

I got the combine pretty full ! The combine hopper will hold 300ish bushels when it's plumb full. There is around 280 in here.
KIMG2549.JPG

Night combining is the best ! These LEDS light the field up like a football stadium 😁
KIMG2550.JPG

Found this beast on Marketplace yesterday and drove 3hrs to make it mine ! The frame on this beauty is chest height on me and I'm 6'1" !
wishek 3.jpg

It's a 2013 26' Wishek 862NT tillage disk weighing in close to 30,000lbs. It's going to be fun going 30mph for 150 miles to get it home 🤣
wishek 2.jpg

I decided to use the splitter as a thumb of sorts and it works great !!
KIMG2559.JPG

I keep getting stuck behind farm machinery on the way to work !!
KIMG2562.JPG

Last of the seed soybeans going into the bin !
KIMG2565.JPG

Moving into corn finally 😁
KIMG2587.JPG

Red combine and a big wrench ..... Guesses on its size ? Going to find the one other farmer in here in quick order lol
KIMG2586.JPG

Miss Lily is getting some seat time running wagons around in the field. Super proud of this kiddo !
KIMG2594.JPG

Red combine and a big wrench ..... Guesses on its size ?
Looks about 1-1/4" to me...but the last red combine I messed with was dads OLD massey, so if the brand was a clue then it didn't help me ;lol
Like that lil 331 Bobcat...used the neighbors to dig a footer for a garage addition last summer...nice machine, other than his is LOOSE!!

I believe 1 5/8 but can't remember what is in that door on an "88" been a while since I worked on the 2388, last one I ran was a 5288 and didn't have to work on it thankfully

It's an 1-1/8" wrench. Used on just about every hex shaft on the machine.

The 331 is sure nice to have but it's pretty slipped out. It's got almost 6,000hrs on it lol.

That 5288 is a nice machine !! I was one bid away from owning a 5088 a few years before we found the 2388. I'm quite happy with this one and it's only got 1800 engine hours on it so it's got lots of life left yet !

When the grain dryer is running all the chaff and a bunch of fines fall out the bottom. I've decided to sweep it up and bag it to be burnt in the boiler.
KIMG2592.JPG

In years past I clean it all up and throw it on the manure pile because it gets rained on and gross. It seems to be dry enough so we will see what kind of fuel it makes!
KIMG2592 (1).JPG

I went on an adventure with Walter today! This picture is blurry because it was at the precise moment that I hit 88 mph 🤣
KIMG2598.JPG

Pictures really don't do justice to just how big this disk is.
KIMG2599.JPG

3hrs to get there and 6.5hrs to get home at a leisurely 33mph. The truck, disk and concrete ballast block grossed around 48,000lbs but it handled it like a champ !
KIMG2601.JPG

Home safe and sound ! Those 385 truck tires looks small next to those 30" blades 🤣
KIMG2605.JPG

@jblnut have you fired the Crown Royal up yet ? I know you guys have been getting some cold weather up there.

Saw this truck at the local tractor pulls. It reminded me of your truck. No clue of the make / model but I’m guessing it’s a Sterling SC8000 by the badge on the side ??

@cumminstinkerer have you fired the Polar up yet ?

IMG_2691.jpeg

@jblnut have you fired the Crown Royal up yet ? I know you guys have been getting some cold weather up there.

Saw this truck at the local tractor pulls. It reminded me of your truck. No clue of the make / model but I’m guessing it’s a Sterling SC8000 by the badge on the side ??

@cumminstinkerer have you fired the Polar up yet ?

View attachment 316468
The stove is sitting waiting to be fixed up yet. The pile is full, the kindling is in the stove and it just needs a match to start it ... or more likely a 500k btu weed burner ..... let's be honest here lol
KIMG2608.JPG

I'll be the typical Minnesotan and say "it isn't that cold yet". It's dipped into the lower 30's at night and is in the mid 50's during the day for the last 4-5 days. The house is finally feeling a chill and is at 66f so I turned the LP side of the forced air on this morning. The shop is still a balmy 58f but I fired that LP boiler up as well so it stays there. We bring the combine in when it's cold so it can start out warm in the morning. I plan to burn propane until we're done with the majority of fall fieldwork. It's less to do and this way the backup sources of heat get used to make sure they work.
KIMG2607.JPG

Holy sweet truck !! I'd roll around in that in a heartbeat. Good thing I have Walter or I'd be bidding on this beauty 😁
Screenshot_20231004-073707.png

Reactions: sloeffle
I'd roll around in it too. Looks to be 4WD and it had a hydraulic lift gate on the back too.

I'm burning electrons myself. With the ups and downs of fall weather it doesn't make sense to fire up the boiler until we get into a good stretch of cold weather. That's a nice looking boiler install, someone knew what they were doing. I'm assuming when you are burning wood, the in floor heat is heated via plate exchanger ?