EAB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear its only a matter of time Zap. That is a long way from where the DEC showed it on their 2009 map.

SolarAndWood said:
I fear its only a matter of time Zap. That is a long way from where the DEC showed it on their 2009 map.

I think you're right solar, the areas I have been working the last couple of weeks have some nice young ash growing.

zap

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

I think you're right solar, the areas I have been working the last couple of weeks have some nice young ash growing.

zap

I have been told that your safe with young ash.

I am seriously considering taking all the marketable ash off the property while it still has some value and maybe even to save the smaller stuff. I've been told I am jumping the gun though.

As a resident of a EAB plagued area take this as gospel....get your saws, splitters, and backs tuned up...you're going to be ass deep in firewood. That is one destructive bug.

I'd rather pay property taxes with the Ash than keep the house warm. The big question on my mind is can it be timed right so that you get the big stuff off and then the little stuff takes its place in the forest in a few decades.

I have been saying that all of the maps that these states have used have been off for a few years. The have mapped the infested areas but not all the places where EAB has hit. It is just if they do not have any evidence - specimen - they don't count it. EAB is already all over NY and in CT whether the believe it or not. Same as some of the Pine Bark Beetle issues.

+1 for selling the saw logs soon.

EAB kills largest trees first. All ours down to 10" are gone in the span of 4 years.

When cutting on the family farm we cut the saw logs and brought them out to roads where the buyers picked them up. We could work when the fields were not needing attention so it worked out nicely and produced pretty decent cash.

The huge glut of Ash is about over here. I'll cut the last of it in the next year or so. The small ones will get the EAB as they grow up. They're not likely to get big in our lifetimes unless treated annually.

SolarAndWood said:
I am seriously considering taking all the marketable ash off the property while it still has some value and maybe even to save the smaller stuff. I've been told I am jumping the gun though.

If there is a market for it, by all means, sell.

Here is a small ash. When they start looking like this, death is very near.

Ashborerdamage-3.gif

Thanks Dennis. That is what I am seeing but I haven't been able to find the bugs. I also havea number that look like healthy trees but I can easily pull large sections of bark off at the bottom.

You are welcome. I haven't seen the bugs either but don't need to. They bore in and stay out of sight. When you pull the bark off it will look like a road map inside.

yes the EAB around here anyway has been very agressive in taking out most of the larger trees in the last couple of years.

SolarAndWood said:
I'd rather pay property taxes with the Ash than keep the house warm. The big question on my mind is can it be timed right so that you get the big stuff off and then the little stuff takes its place in the forest in a few decades.

I'd say if you can get something for them sell them before they're only good for firewood. It's not a matter of "if" they're going to die it's just a matter of when. I still have a handful of smaller ash tree's still making(probably 10" and down) it but all of them show signs of damage. I have hundreds of self seeded small tree's growing around here. I may mark some of them before fall and try to start treating them with a soil drench to see if I can get some of them past this.

SolarAndWood said:

Yes, ash will re-populate just depends where the boars are at in a few decades. This is what I am trying to do. (see what happens in 10-20 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.