Early creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
9B12D37B-950F-4C86-973B-27F6B2096C25.jpeg with updated install- ss liner with wrap insulation, and with wood that is under 20%, I have been burning stove lower than I have in past. I have been cutting air back and, if I see secondaries, i leave it. Went to check top of liner today with flashlight and saw very thin shiny glaze on top inside of liner-appeared to extend about 6 inches or so. Vast majority of rest of inside of liner looked normal-with fluffy brown ask like soot. I called installer, who said that I should be burning a bit hotter. I described the paper thin thickness of the glaze and he said that, as long as I burn correctly going forward, that this is not a safety issue currently. He asked if I burned half a cord or less of wood-I said yes- less than half a cord. I wanted to see what you all thought given that shiny glaze creosote is not good

It looks fine to me, but I'm not a pro. I'm curious what is said as I'm in CT, and so far I've burned maybe a 1/4 of a cord (if that) so far. Been quite mild so far.

In cold climates it's common to get a little bit of glaze on the top bit of chimney and cap. If nothing is building up on the cap or on that screen I'd just keep burning and monitoring. After your overnight fire, have a good rip roaring hot fire first thing in the morning if you can.

Reactions: Doc C
Just wanted to bump this post so it didn’t get buried.

I'm glad to see that Squisher popped in here, I don't have the luxury of peeking at the top of my chimney, it's a journey , and several panic attacks just to get up there. I've been burning low too, with punky wood, otherwise, it runs us out of the house. I'm sure mine looks the same way. Soon we'll have the stoves hot enough to not have to worry about this. Supposed to get down to 16 this weekend. :confused:

Would this thin glazing go away with burning a bit hotter?

If you see it collecting on the cap I would give it more air and burn hotter. and check your wood. Looks good right now

Reactions: Squisher
Would this thin glazing go away with burning a bit hotter?

what I can see in the picture looks so thin as to be almost nothing. And if it's just in the very end of the liner as you mentioned I'd just monitor it at this point.

Wanted to bump this post once more.

May be a silly question but rather double check. That ACS(anti creosote) stuff is safe for stainless liner right?