Early Winter flue check, how am I doing buildup wise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SuperJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2017
St.Jacobs, ON, Canada
I got my BK Ashford 30 installed in October. I've put almost a full cord of wood through it so far.
I'm curious how my flue is doing creosote wise, so a slid up double wall an snapped a picture. It seems to have some fluffy white substance on the inside. My chimney is Class A ICC Excel and double wall inside. I'd be curious to see some other peoples flue photos.

IMG_0856.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually find the vast majority of my pipe crud in the highest, coldest part of the pipe.

Like half of what is in there total is in the top two or three feet.

Might as well brush it out while it is cold and see what you get.

I usually find the vast majority of my pipe crud in the highest, coldest part of the pipe.

Like half of what is in there total is in the top two or three feet.

Might as well brush it out while it is cold and see what you get.

This. I only get creo buildup at the cap and the last few feet of pipe. I just keep an eye on the cap to judge how much is in the pipe. I let the pipe get good and hot during reloads, so I think this helps to limit buildup as well.

This. I only get creo buildup at the cap and the last few feet of pipe. I just keep an eye on the cap to judge how much is in the pipe. I let the pipe get good and hot during reloads, so I think this helps to limit buildup as well.
I just looked down my new liner attached to an elmira 1600 insert, and I've got the same effect going on. Cap has a bit of runny tar on the face, everything below in the chimney is clean

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I just looked down my new liner attached to an elmira 1600 insert, and I've got the same effect going on. Cap has a bit of runny tar on the face, everything below in the chimney is clean

Runny tar? How dry is the wood your using?? Sounds likes it may still be a bit wet?

Runny tar? How dry is the wood your using?? Sounds likes it may still be a bit wet?
I should take a picture, its not actually runny, thats just the way it looks on the cap. Its two year old seasoned white ash, 1 year outside, one in a basement. My 1600 has no combustors in it, I've not sourced any yet, I figure its just smoke condensing during startup.

I should take a picture, its not actually runny, thats just the way it looks on the cap. Its two year old seasoned white ash, 1 year outside, one in a basement. My 1600 has no combustors in it, I've not sourced any yet, I figure its just smoke condensing during startup.

Two y.o. Ash should be plenty dry. Curious