Easiest OR Cheapest way to an in code Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
I'd like to explore both (easiest and/or cheapest) options. Here's what I've already seen:

2 layers of cinder blocks (the full size ones with air gaps) can equal R2 (but who'd want block 16" high)

As many layers of this (stoveboard):
http://www.lowes.com/pd_74029-85334...5068481&kpid=3818605&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=3818605

as thick it would take to meet the R value required

I've seen people using steel studs to build a platform. I'm not sure how this would effect R Value.

Still digging for good ideas to meet insurance requirements.

Depends on the requirements of the stove. Some have fairly robust requirements. Others are simply ember protection. Two completely different builds.

I'm considering the Englander Madison. It is pretty vague (from what I can see) in the manual. I see only UL Type 1 ember protection listed if used on a combustible floor.

So for example one layer of ceramic tile and done with it? The Englander tech I spoke with said figure around R1.5 for most of their stoves. He said that there's an error in the 13-NC and that as far as the testing goes even that is less than R2 but due to that error, it'd be difficult to prove this to insurance.

So for example one layer of ceramic tile and done with it? The Englander tech I spoke with said figure around R1.5 for most of their stoves. He said that there's an error in the 13-NC and that as far as the testing goes even that is less than R2 but due to that error, it'd be difficult to prove this to insurance.

If in fact the requirement is only "ember protection" . . . yes . . . but I personally would put the ceramic tile on a layer or two of cement board . . . give it more or less a single non-combustible sheet under the tile in case the tile ever cracks or grout comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.