Eastern CT shop caught fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
Well i just woke up and turned on the local news, A local Norwich ,CT Stove Shop ( Shur Fire Energy) was found with smoke pouring out of it last night around 10pm. This really sucks especially right at this time i was gonna head out there this weekend i found they had a bunch of pellets in stock.

They are way over priced. TSC still has loads of GS's by me.

place looked like it was a total loss...

Boss busted for Shur Fire blaze

Updated: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Published : Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 1:22 PM EST

Norwich, Conn. (WTNH) - A man well-known for helping others was arrested for setting fire to his own business.

Bruce "Bruno" Hayn, 54, was arrested by police on charges of arson and insurance fraud.

On October 27, 2011, wood stove and pellet fuel company Shur Fire went up in flames . Five fire departments turned up to fight the flames that consumed the business and everything inside.

What resulted was a huge financial loss; as many as 40 stoves were destroyed.

Hayn filed insurance claims worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the insurance company made initial good faith payments.

However, after an investigation into the cause of the fire, police determined that it was intentionally set. Hayn was subsequently arrested and charged with criminal attempt at arson, arson, insurance fraud, and false statement.

He was released on a $100,000 surety bond set and is scheduled to appear in court on January 26.

Hayn previously led the Extreme Home Makeover build for a Voluntown family struck by tragedy.

"You get a real good feeling when you're doing this and life is a little short, I think to just look at money and everything else so when it was offered it was like, well sure," Hayn said about his experience.

Hyan was also the Vice Chairman on the Board of Finance for the town of Norwich.

"I was shocked and saddened to learn of the arrest of Mr. Hayn. Bruce has made numerous contributions to this community over the last twenty years and is entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty," First Selectman Gregg Schuster said in a statement. "I'm sure Mr. Hayn will be considering if he should continue serving on the Board of Finance. I hope he will make a decision that is in the best interest of the community."

Police say no additional arrests are anticipated.

this makes my blood boil...risking peoples lives so this scum bag
can collect some insurance money....they should throw away the
key with this clown

Well, he IS innocent until proven guilty. But if he's guilty, hanging comes to mind.

from what the news said...this was the SECOND time he tried to burn it down

Status
Not open for further replies.