Easy way to distibute the heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdrozd

Jun 19, 2008
New Haven County,Ct
I am worried about evenly heating the rooms in the house. I have a hot air system presently and will be installing an insert. If I turn on the fan occasionally on the furnace will that distribute the heat thru out the house? Does anyone do this?

For the furance to move "heat" it has to come into the furnace that way or heat the air itself. How close is your cold air return to the insert?

Ceiling fans work the best.

Eric

Just one of those things you will have to try when it gets colder. I would aim towards the ceiling fans and run them in the "winter" setting.

Eric

I can understand a ceiling fan distributing the heat evenly in each room, but I can't see how they would push it thru out the house. That is why I was wondering about running the furnace fan.

I found that running the furnace fan to distribute the heat had a minimal effect in my house. I feel your pain, ssman, as I searched long and hard for answers like that and found that what works for one person does not necessarily work for others. There are too many variables - room layout, stove placement, leaky ductwork, etc. As kinsman stoves said, trial and error is going to be your best bet.

Two things to consider, one is all of the duct work insulated? If the supply side is insulated consider warping up the return side there is not as much for duct work as the supply. If not try it any way to see if it works. Second where is the furnace? Is it in a cold location or is it in a heated area? If it's in a cold location the main body of the furnace is usually not insulated in might not work with the lower settings on the pellet stove, but might on higher settings. The only way to find out if it works is to experiment and tinker a little bit. It's all ready in your house no reasoned not to try it.

Celling fans, regular fans, muffin fans, to move heat form form to room will work. It's just a little ugly running fans all over the house during the winter. But the mufin fans are most likely to be the best, they can be tucked in the corner of a door way cornner and places like that. The only thing you need a outlet for the plug near by or will have to add/replace the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.