eBay Log Splitter Cradle for MTD/Yard Machines/Cub Cadet et al

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Just wanted to post a quick review of the log cradle that an eBay seller has been making/selling--it's the one posted here and there that mounts to the I-Beam. Well, couple cool things:

1. Bracket stays mounted, so cradle can be removed for vertical splitting. I thought I might have to remove bolts or something, but it's just a flip up and pull off.
2. Frame-style, so wood pieces do not have to be cleared off (as on a table).
3. Nice construction/powdercoating--I think this'll last as long as my machine.
4. Fairly inexpensive: $90 shipped to NH.
5. Easy install--three holes through the beam and install of bolts (included)

I've not split too much with it yet, but I can see that splitting will be a whole lot easier without having to bend over for the other half of a round. Also, it's a nice staging area when working with another person (and smaller rounds). Finally, the guy was real easy to deal with and shipping was fine.

Enjoy,

S

So that would be this guy here, eh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOG-SPLITTE...628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e30628c

I'm assuming that it bolts right to the two existing brackets that hold (in my case) the funky little "cradle" on either side of my MTD splitter beam. If that's the case, then it's a straight quick bolt-on with no drilling required. Do I have that correct? If so, I just may have to git me one o' them bad boys. Rick

Fossil, that's the one. I bought it direct, though--PM me for his address--and saved about 10%. As for install, there are three holes to be drilled through the beam for the 'z' bracket. I think he did this for two reasons: 1. it should fit most any I-Beam log splitter, and 2. it allows the bracket to stay on at all times and not get in the way. The bracket does sit on top of those existing brackets, though, so drilling the holes was a breeze.

S

thinkxingu said:
Fossil, that's the one. I bought it direct, though--PM me for his address--and saved about 10%. As for install, there are three holes to be drilled through the beam for the 'z' bracket. I think he did this for two reasons: 1. it should fit most any I-Beam log splitter, and 2. it allows the bracket to stay on at all times and not get in the way. The bracket does sit on top of those existing brackets, though, so drilling the holes was a breeze.

S

Cool, thanks! Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.