MTD/Yard Machines/Cub Cadet/Troy Bilt 25-Ton Splitter Pros/Cons List

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello All,
I'm not sure anyone's actually posted a pros/cons list for these machines, so here goes. I think I've been VERY critical, but please feel free to add what I miss. Overall, I would buy mine again--especially for around the $1k price point.

S

Pros:
* Tire Fenders--keeps logs from hitting rubber, which is good (see cons)
* Log cradles come standard (see cons)
* Honda engine is fuel sipper and starts on two pulls when cold, one pull when warm--every time
* Comes filled with fluids--$50 value?
* Vertical and horizontal splitting
* Plenty of power--haven't hit a piece I couldn't split yet
* Fairly quiet
* 2" hitch and chains--can be towed by truck/tractor
* Fit/finish/paint/performance are excellent
* Easy to assemble--only a couple pieces to connect
* Very easy to set up and move between horizontal/vertical

Cons:
* Tires get in way of my feet--have to lean over a bit to place log *probably my only real issue, which is not a big deal with two people working together. When alone, I tend to kick the tires fairly often
* Log cradles need to be adjusted--stock they get caught up and bend/break bolts
* No work table (most don't come with one stock, but it is something many would want to add)--will be adding eBay table people post about, and will post review later
* Because of no work table, fenders keep logs from hitting tire
* A tad slow if using full throw--my splits are 20", and I usually don't have to go more than ten before they pop apart
* Couple reports of bad trunion mounts on cylinders--mine look beefed up, and statistically not sure it's an issue
* Original support leg--I think it's been redesigned, but mine was a finger-chopper. I immediately replaced it with a folding boat trailer wheel
* Beam foot size--I'm fairly certain these are somewhat the same across brands, but when splitting vertically it's tough to fit a 30" round on an 8" (guess) foot--I tend to have to hold the round in place
* Beam foot extrusions--I'm not sure if these two half-moon steel pieces are for grip or what, but when trying to slide large rounds on, they often get caught up

Reactions: laxin213
Status
Not open for further replies.