Ecofan on an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

Greetings from Missouri,

I finally broke down and bought an Ecofan. I sold off a bunch of old ham radio gear that I stumbled into so I had some "free money." I purchased the 3 blade model but of course picked out the wrong blade color (gold instead of silver....I guess I have to be in trouble for something). Just like the instructions say, the fan must be placed on the edge rather than the middle so that the differential between the cooler air behind the stove and the base of the fan will be greater. I have a few observations.

First, my world is a lot quieter now that the stove blower is not on 24/7. The fan spins at about 200 rotations per minute when the stove top temperature is at around 400 degrees. I usually don't run the stove that hot though. The room with the stove is not near as overwhelmingly hot but I am still able to maintain a comfortable temperature throughout my ranch home (stove is upstairs). There is not a ton of room on top of my insert (a Buck 21) between the front edge and the shroud so I am sure I am not getting as much difference as possible between the two temperatures because the shroud is warm. Nothing new in these observations. Mostly a confirmation of what the positive reviews have already stated.

So, overall I'm happy. My wife misses the more intense heat from the blower but she is getting used this new set up. We are not real cold right now in my part of Missouri so I'll hold off my final conclusions until we get a cold snap. For now, I would recommend this fan if you have the right set up and don't need a blow torch in your living room.

I'm looking forward to hearing y'alls thoughts if you have an Ecofan on an insert.

Don Ed

we had our 2 blade eco fan on top of our model 20 for years, maybe not the best way to use it but thats how it had to sit. now we have the 3 blade on the top of the soapstone stove. it does the same as far as i can tell. i just enjoy owning a stove i dont have to plug in and i realy like both our eco fans. good luck with your set up, pete

Don Ed said:
Greetings from Missouri,

I finally broke down and bought an Ecofan. I sold off a bunch of old ham radio gear that I stumbled into so I had some "free money." I purchased the 3 blade model but of course picked out the wrong blade color (gold instead of silver....I guess I have to be in trouble for something). Just like the instructions say, the fan must be placed on the edge rather than the middle so that the differential between the cooler air behind the stove and the base of the fan will be greater. I have a few observations.

First, my world is a lot quieter now that the stove blower is not on 24/7. The fan spins at about 200 rotations per minute when the stove top temperature is at around 400 degrees. I usually don't run the stove that hot though. The room with the stove is not near as overwhelmingly hot but I am still able to maintain a comfortable temperature throughout my ranch home (stove is upstairs). There is not a ton of room on top of my insert (a Buck 21) between the front edge and the shroud so I am sure I am not getting as much difference as possible between the two temperatures because the shroud is warm. Nothing new in these observations. Mostly a confirmation of what the positive reviews have already stated.

So, overall I'm happy. My wife misses the more intense heat from the blower but she is getting used this new set up. We are not real cold right now in my part of Missouri so I'll hold off my final conclusions until we get a cold snap. For now, I would recommend this fan if you have the right set up and don't need a blow torch in your living room.

I'm looking forward to hearing y'alls thoughts if you have an Ecofan on an insert.

Don Ed

I have a three blade Ecofan that I bought last year. I was completely disappointed by it when place on the Vigilant. It did not have any noticeable effect on heat movement. Temperature in the room did not change. This year I placed it on top of the Intrepid and I could feel the difference. There was big difference in the movement of heat in the room.

In the end, I feel that the success of the Ecofan really depends on your stove and setup. But, a small plug-in fan will beat the hell out of an Ecofan.

Status
Not open for further replies.