Econo burn storage and forced air questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowsky64x

Sep 10, 2009
Thumb Michigan
Hi Guys . Great forum you have here. I have been reading alot for 2 months but now i need some specific help.
I have a new econoburn 200 and will be heating my 1500 sq shop and 1500 sq foot house. My boiler is in my shop and the house is 200 ft away.
I have chose to us pex al pex for running the water and have a 500 gallon tank for storage. My main problem is the loop the stove requires for temps under 150 degrees.
If I charge my storage tank and then shut my stove down the main loop that feeds hot water to the exchanger in the house and shop will shut off because the stove temp will fall below 150. I am unsure how to plumb this out. I was planning to run the system and one big loop - from stove to tank to house then back to shed and to shed excahnger and then back to the stove. Any diagrams or help would be greatly appreciated, I found lots of info but most of it seems to be for radiant heat situations not water to air exchangers.
Thankyou for your help

I've found the best way to do accomplish what you are trying to do is to set up your piping in a primary secondary fashion rather than a series loop. You want to think of your storage as the place where the btu's for heating come from not the boiler. The boiler is there to charge the storage tank, the storage tank is point in the system where the heat actually gozinta/gozoutta.
The control side of things....making the heat go where you want it, when you want it can get confusing if you are not used to working with the pieces of the system that can do that. What you are asking for is a design for your place and that is difficult to do over the www. I have no idea what your capabilities or skills are but what you are talking about can get a little technical. The first place to start would be the person or place you bought the boiler from. If that's Econoburn call them. They may have some suggested piping/control layout diagrams that would get you started. I know a contractor in Marlette that would be able to give you a hand if needed. If you would like his name send me a PM and I'll get it to you.
Other than that, there are some layouts posted right at the top of this page that you could look at to get you thinking about how to do it. Do it right the first time and don't try to cut corners on tube size, controls or design. Taking apart everything you have done because it doesn't work right is a giant PITA.

thanks for the info. i know it is hard to tell what I need without being here but I have had 3 so called experts here and all 3 said to do it different and if I call econoburn they tell me one thing and if I call aquatherm they tell me something else. I have come to the conclusion that it is up to me to come up with a way to make this work. I guess my main question is how important is the loop for temps under 150 becuase if I could eliminate that my system would be very simple and straight forward.

bowsky64x said:
thanks for the info. i know it is hard to tell what I need without being here but I have had 3 so called experts here and all 3 said to do it different and if I call econoburn they tell me one thing and if I call aquatherm they tell me something else. I have come to the conclusion that it is up to me to come up with a way to make this work. I guess my main question is how important is the loop for temps under 150 becuase if I could eliminate that my system would be very simple and straight forward.

You must include some form of parts/ configuration to allow the boiler to quickly get and stay above low temps (140-150); Econoburn's "near boiler loop," with its own pump, is their intended main way of doing this.

There are various ways to go about many things- come up with some form of diagram and post the image here, and people can give you feedback.

You need not be a computer design guru; a sketch that shows up decently in a photo would work OK.

I talked to econoburn today and he faxed me a diagram. I took his idea and reworked it a little and came up with this.
It alows for the close boiler loop and primary to function normally just the way econo burn wants and lets me control water flow to my load the
way i want. i don't see any reason why it won't work but thats why i am runnign it buy you guys. The only thing I don't know how to do is
control the load loop pump and supply it power , I know it will need its own aquastat but were am I going to get power for it? Only other thing is having 4 open water tubes in that tank i don't think they will draw on each other but im not sure
thanx alot for your help

Attachments

• boiler small.jpg
    boiler small.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 327
Status
Not open for further replies.