Ecoteck Elana won't start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firestarter25

Jan 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I recently acquired a house with an Elana installed in a corner with a short horizontal 3" vent pipe. On first start attempt I got a no depress error.
I disconnected the flue and cleaned the venting and the stove thoroughly. I scraped and vacuumed the flame trap and heat exchanger, removed the firex panels and cleaned behind them, and brushed and vacuumed the rear air passages accessed through the inspection panels. Everything was VERY dirty and ash laden. I also disassemble the exhaust blower and cleaned it out.
Now when I attempt to start, my error message is gone, but none of the control panel buttons will do anything. #3 button will not initiate start up....#4 button won't access menus.....after the start cycle and cleaning the display says off and panel won't respond to any inputs.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20140128_155849.jpg
    20140128_155849.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 118
Make sure the connector at both ends of the ribbon cable (between the top LCD display and the internal control board) are properly seated.....or you static zapped the top LCD display or controller electronics when you disassembled the stove for cleaning.

Last edited:
I checked the ribbon cable connections and they're fine. I'm skeptical about the control panel being zapped because it displays the startup routine just fine. If the panel needs to be replaced, are they available anywhere?
Seems like a marginal design that they put such a marginal component in a place that is likely to have static discharges on a regular basis .. ......cool, dry air...go figure.

I assume you tried unplugging the stove 110VAC for a minute, and then retrying?

You pushed and held the power button (#3) for a few seconds before releasing it?

Have you tried to turn-on the stove with the remote control?

Ecoteck parts are availible from North Forge Heating, Annville PA. (717) 867 1744.
Talk to Barry, he got me parts within a week.

Yes, I tried unplugging it several times with no success and held button #3 down till my finger was sore...lol....but you may have hit on something regarding the remote. I assumed there was one available because I saw the antenna hanging out of the back. The problem is that I don't have the remote. Do you know if they're all the same, or are they matched to the receiver in the stove? And thanks for the parts info!

From what I've seen there are two remotes available for the Elena.

The "antenna" wire sticking out the back is the room temperature probe for the built-in thermostat.
These stoves use an IR remote, the pick-up sensor is the little rectangular window to the left of the power pushbutton. If you find a remote, no "matching" or "learning" to the stove is needed.

An open hopper safety switch will not cause the stove not to start, or cause an unresponsive control panel.

I haven't looked but is it possible contact points are not connecting between board and key pad?

Not if the main board is the culprit.

Picture of the IR remote for your stove : the 4 button remote is in the picture, on the left.

Attachments

• Remote.jpg
    Remote.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.