Efco chainsaws - good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Craigslist is full of various homelite, poulan, mccullough chainsaws. I know these can be decent but they are generally not that expensive anyway. I see a couple Efco chainsaws on there, one made a big deal about it being much higher quality than those others. Is that true? I know nothing about chainsaws. Obviously.

Buy something of known quality and You won't be disappointed. Go to a reputable dealer .

I'm all for buying cheap stuff on craigslist, but expect to get what you pay for. Reusing someone's saw is great resource management, but many people who don't use their stuff don't take care of it either.

From my experience it IS higher quality than those you listed. More in line with Echo or consumer grade Husqvarna/Stihl/Dolmar/Solo saws. Not built as well as the pro lines from Husqvarna/Stihl/Dolmar/Solo, but not priced the same either.

AFAIK Efco makes saws for John Deere. Efco saws are also sold in some BB stores like Menards so there is a good chance the saw was sold without any professional prep or service.

if your looking on craiglist a good saw that most will over look is a poluan 330 pro

that's what my log guy uses (81cc) - so i'd say it's a decent saw

btw i have never seen an EFCO saw in big box stores (i have seen echo)

got ya - we dont have any Mendards in New England

Love my 670 Echo. Best quality saw I own.

If possible try a couple of different saws and check the bar adjustments and fueling to see what feels best for you. Most people use a 16 18 or 20 for the majority of the use. Also gauge your use from casual on up and gear your saw for the same. The low end saws sold by the box stores are mostly just marginal performers and might work fine if you are just using them for short time periods. If you will use the saw quite often and for longer stretches of time go for a better saw like a mid range Stihl or something similar and keep in mind the guy at the stihl dealer knows saws and can be a great help in getting a saw to meet your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.