Efficiency When Running A Small Flush Insert Without Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm burning my insert right now with the fan off. It's not very cold tonight (38* as a low) and the house is really warm from the fire, so I turned the fan off. I find I get way longer heat from the coals, and keep the coals longer if I turn the fan off during the end of a burn cycle. In mild temps I will have the fan on to heat the house to the desired temp, then turn the fan off. My insert comes out 8-9" and weighs like 500 lbs so it has a lot of mass in the room that pours the heat in the room even without the fan. But on colder days there is no doubt I have the fan on 24/7 practically.

So to sum up:

Mild days: Fan on to bring house temps up, then fan off to hold the temps, and give me a longer coaling stage so longer periods of time between reloads.
Cold days: Fan is running almost constantly.

Also worth noting:
-With fan off the insert holds hotter temps for longer, but not because I have the draft open. I close my draft down fully practically every burn regardless of fan usage.
-I only run the fan on high to bring house temps up in a hurry. Besides that if the fan is on, it's on low. Huge decrease in burn times with fan on high, but it really throws the heat.

I had my fan running on low last night and there were more coals than usual in the AM.
(Of course there was a big chunk in there too, so not a fair test.)

My last insert in a zero clearance fireplace at the old house was a Quad 2100i. That one stuck out onto the hearth like yours and you could even load the wood from front to back. The store I got it from said a fan was optional, so we didn't get one. It worked fine. The mantle got a tad warm, however. I'd have gotten another one for the current house and put a fan in it, but that model was discontinued, with the flush 2700i taking its place. Sure, it doesn't take up any floor space, but I'd have sacrificed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.