eko 25 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CANUCK GLAZIER

Jul 10, 2008
south eastern Ontario
Hey everyone,

Finally at the plumbing point of the install. I was wondering about the 2 pipes, one on each side of the unit at the top. I have seen other installs on this site and have noticed them not being used. The polish to english translation is quite humorous to read but doesn't mention those pipes. I was also wondering about size of HX and pump size.
I'm sure I'll have some more questions later.

Rob

The way I read the manual those pipes are for an overheat situation but not used in North America reason unknown to me..Dave

I had someone hook mine up to my oil furnace and I believe he said it was just for an added overheat protection and is not needed so mine is not being used either. Something you may want to do if it is in your basement is seal all the gasket areas with Rutland high temp silicone before you fire. Both top and bottom door gaskets, especially the top door gasket (check the mating butt ends for gap and fill with the silicone if so) pull the front fan panel off and check the gasket to see if adhered tightly, I think SWF pulled the whole thing off then layed a bead of silicone then placed the gasket back on then another layer of silicone then the panel to seal tight. Pull the top door off and turn the hinge bolts one full turn in to tighten the hinge area as much as you can. You would be served well to do this right from the start than to have to fight with it (or your wife) about smoke and creosote smell after it is up and running. Good luck.

The pipes are for overheat protection. I think it may be a Euro code of some kind. Anyway, there's a mild steel coil in the boiler vessel connected to those nipples. You can connect a domestic water supply up to it to move cold water through the boiler in the event of overheating, but I don't know anyone who does it. Overheating doesn't seem to be a big problem with the EKO. There's no reason not to hook it up that way if you like, but there are easier ways to provide overheat protection, depending on your situation. Some people use the coil as a heat exchanger, but remember that fresh water contains oxygen, and that steel coil will eventually rust out if you run enough fresh water through it.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will def adjust that door and do the silicone, thanks for the heads up, as my boiler is in the house and we live in a 2600 ranch style.

Hey Eric how's the storage coming? Any updates or pictures on the install?

Is there any online suppliers of pumps or flat plate HX that a frugal guy like myself could save some money? Remember I am way up north here in Canada LOL.

Do I need to size the HX for max output/hr that the boiler can produce? One speed or variable?

Rob

You can get pumps on Ebay for about half of what you'd pay retail--if you know what you want. Probably similar deals on heat exchangers. I'm not how you size an hx, but shooting for your max output should be more than sufficient, given that you'll probably never see the rated max. There may be some formula to give you a more precise measurement, but I don't know where you'd find it.

Nothing to report on the storage, other than it's about a day away from being completed. But no guarantee that it will work.

Hey Eric,

wow a day away, i wish I was that close to being up and running. I will check e-bay out like you said but will have to wait for someone to post some pump part numbers and HX part numbers to refine the search process on ebay. Also looking for temp sensors part numbers as well as some sort of zone valves or EBV's.
Hopefully nofossil or one of the other "vets" will post on this thread and get me pointed in the right direction.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.