1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

EKO 25, seal doors help?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by RDabate, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RDabate

RDabate Member

Loc:
    Ellington, CT
    I just can not get these doors sealed up. Every year, I deal with this. I bought two new seals. First off, they are very, very hard to squeeze in. Second, on my EKO 25, I see that we can adjust the doors, on mine, only the top hinge is not welded and has movement, but he bottom one is not movable. Is this normal?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Post a pic. Both upper and lower hinges should be identical. At least they are on the green skinned EKO's. I can't imagine why they would change this.

New seals will be tight. Crank the hinges in, and crank that door latch TIGHT. It should not leak with the new seals....
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    On mine, I did as suggested above for a couple of fires. Then, I squeezed a layer of high-temp silicone sealer (the orange stuff) on the gaskets. Put a layer of Saran Wrap over the sealer and closed the door tightly. Let it set, been good for years.
  4. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    I can't believe the lower hinge is welded. They welded the nuts so they will bind, making them difficult to turn. Get a bigger wrench. When I installed my new door gasket a few weeks ago, I used silicone spray lube on it and pressed it in place with a motorcycle tire removal tool--- basically a very dull screw driver.
  5. RDabate

RDabate Member

Loc:
    Ellington, CT
    It took some time, but I was able to get the seal in place by force. Adjusted the door, and I think i'm good to go. I forgot to take pictures. Thanks guys.
  6. timberr

timberr Member

Loc:
    Hill, NH
    Rick,

I had the same problem with mine. If you look and the hinge assembly, the post threads into 2 nuts welded to sheet metal. I tried to loosen the post and broke it off. It appears that those 2 nuts were off slightly acting like lock nuts. To fix this I ground off the outer nut, drilled out the post, tapped it and threaded a new bolt in. I added a new lock nut to replace the nut I ground off.

Now I can adjust both hinges.

Good luck
  7. jshinn

jshinn Member

Loc:
    NH
    What is temperature range is the "orange stuff" - I found some "red silicone" that is good to 700 degree? Is that OK?
  8. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    That's the stuff that is considered "high temperature silicone" But after installing the new gasket on my unit I am seeing another advantage. It may be only temporary but there seems to be more resiliency to the new gasket so seems to conform much better when the pressure is applied creating a better seal. After the seal contacts the lip I can give the cam more than a quarter turn.