EKO side clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

May 14, 2008
central Ontario Canada
I am preparing my site for install. Burrying the pipe in a culvert do to my wet location. Does anyone know what the side clearances would be for an Eko 40. I have not picked my unit up yet and do not have manual. I want to position the pipe coming into the concrete slab. I am installing in an outbuilding.
Also anyone in Ontario who knows where I can find some propane tanks would be helpfull. So far have only been able to find old stainless dairy tanks at $1.50/gal. Not sure if the space or open storage would work for me.
Thanks for your help

Hi There,

The clearances are in the manual with the boiler, as far as I can tell they suggest 800 mm on the side, 1000 mm in the back and 1500 mm in the front. This is 2' 8", 3' 4" and 4' 11" resp.
Now that said, you may want to check local code and the fact that the boiler is non CSA. There was a post a while back listing non CSA clearances for wood boilers, maybe someone knows where to find this.

Have fun,

Henk.

Thanks- I will go with your numbers as i am not concerned at this point with insuring the outbuilding. I also don't think that the Eko will have any difficulty passing any tests. Also when I called CSA about this furnace they said that they were not going to CSA aprove new furnaces. So EKO will need to get other certification. If I understood the lady I spoke with correctly.
Thanks again

You can download the current EKO manual from the New Horizon website. I know he has a new version coming out soon, but I'm not sure if it's been posted yet. If it's got a color picture of an EKO 60 on the front, then it's the latest version. It lists the clearances in inches. I believe it's 18 inches on the sides and 36 inches on the front, back and top.

Consider some extra clearance on the left side of the EKO , that is where the lever for cleaning the tubes is located and it's nice to have some room to get next to the boiler and operate the lever. I don't know about anyone else but 18" is a little tight for me. With the pipes coming in from the bottom it's good to be behind and a little to one side or the other to avoid the return and drain connections at the rear of the boiler.

The dimensions Eric wrote are correct: as suggested by the manual.

woodisgood said:
Also anyone in Ontario who knows where I can find some propane tanks would be helpfull. So far have only been able to find old stainless dairy tanks at $1.50/gal. Not sure if the space or open storage would work for me.
Thanks for your help

I have 500 gal propane tanks for sale here in Michigan. I've sold a couple to guys in Ontario and it doesn't seem to be any problem getting across. $250 ea. PM me if interested, I'm located in Hesperia, Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.