Eko with no storage question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCPFIOL

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello, I have an Eko 40 that's been waiting in my garage for a bit and I have a question.

If I can't do hot water storage right now is there any reason I couldn't heat a smaller tank, call it 200 gallons just for a number, and then from that go out to hot water radiators throughout the house?

I realize I'd need more fires, but the 25 year old firetrap that's in my basement now goes all the time now, burning tons of wood not very efficiently.

Storage seems like a spendy deal no matter how you do it. It seems like heating less water more often and sending it out wouldn't hurt anything and might be better than what I have now.

Does that make any sense?

My current furnace is an old forced air burner that doesn't do anything all that well, goes through a lot of wood tho.

Thank you.

200 gallon is better than no storage I think. You can allways add more later.

I agree, this would be more of a buffer tank which will help even out the load better than just running the boiler. It wont give you much time as storage, but sometimes even a couple hours helps allot. Just be sure to plumb in for the added storage in the future while your doing the intial install....it's allot easier to add a few shutoffs and "t"'s now than tearing it apart later.

I have an eko 25 and still don't have storage. I do run the eko hard when I get home from work and set the thermostat in the house up a degree per hour so it doesn't idle at all. The house gets warmer till 10 pm so the house is my storage since my house is so well insulated. It idles at night though quite a bit though cause I set the thermostat down from 72 to 67. My house looses 1 degree per hour on an average night here in Wisconsin. By 3 am. the furnace starts going on again so it idles a lot at night. It idles a bit in the day too but not too much. I wish I knew where to get 200 gal. of storage without paying a 1000 bucks.

Thanks for the responses.

And 200 was just a number I picked. You're right. I can't find a cheap 200 gallon deal anywhere.

Since I'm not real good with geography, I'm not sure how far away you are from the Ohio/Indiana border (Findley OH), but I bought my three 330 gal decommissioned propane tanks for about $200 each. The guy had dozens of 220 gallon (upright) tanks available as well as many 500 gallon tanks. He was very pleasant to deal with. He willingly tracked down the last two 330 gal tanks I needed and loaded them on my trailer. He mentioned that he was getting out of the used propane tank business as soon as he got rid of his stock. I would post his number but maybe thats not proper here. PM me and I can get it to you.

There is a place on the ohio mich. border that has any propane tank you could want, 500 gal for for around $125.00 Its by pionier ohio.

When using some sort of "used tank" the expense of storage is in the plumbing circ & controls (this was my experiance). Used propane tanks seem to be the most common, I have a 500 gal. used propane tank and It was delivered to my house clean for $200. I have a EKO 25 and genrally I find that one good burn recharges my tank (during real cold weather I have to do a refill).

ihookem said:
I have an eko 25 and still don't have storage. I do run the eko hard when I get home from work and set the thermostat in the house up a degree per hour so it doesn't idle at all. The house gets warmer till 10 pm so the house is my storage since my house is so well insulated. It idles at night though quite a bit though cause I set the thermostat down from 72 to 67. My house looses 1 degree per hour on an average night here in Wisconsin. By 3 am. the furnace starts going on again so it idles a lot at night. It idles a bit in the day too but not too much. I wish I knew where to get 200 gal. of storage without paying a 1000 bucks.
You can try the industrial air compressor businesses. If you tell them its for about 20 psi they will probably sell you a used tank. They usually won't sell used tanks for 200 lb air, Randy

Never thought of that Singed, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.