Elbow on horizontal Garn Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I like the idea of a horizontal chimney on the Garn. In my case this would not be possible without putting a 90* elbow (tee)on to turn the chimney to an outside wall. Am I correct in assuming that this would be no different than placing a 90* tee to go up through the roof and that no additionl restrictions would apply to the powervent exhaust system?

sawter, i have 3 ft horizontal then a t/cleanout for a transition and 12 ft of vertical,works fine, thecleanout twist off plug enables to brush flue from bottom and allows rain water to weep out of twist connection. More importantly if possible keep the combustion air inlet as short as possible, without elbows.

TCaldwell said:
sawter, i have 3 ft horizontal then a t/cleanout for a transition and 12 ft of vertical,works fine, thecleanout twist off plug enables to brush flue from bottom and allows rain water to weep out of twist connection. More importantly if possible keep the combustion air inlet as short as possible, without elbows.

Thanks Tom, I like the idea of a cleanout using the T/cleanout. If you have no problems with the "T" and 12' of vertical pipe, I would probably not have problems with 3' pipe, T/cleanout, then 8' of horizontal. I may be just as well going up 12'-15' and forgetting the horizontal. That way the smoke would surely be away from the workshop.

George

last year I installed my garn 2000 horzontaly along my shop wall.
I installed a clean out "T" directly off of the garn then ran it about 4' and through the side wall of my shop. ran another 4' out of the building then put a 45^ elbow on the end to direct the sparks ect into a sand box.
I was told by garn that this 90^ turn off the garn was ok.

last year I installed my Garn 2000 horizontally along my shop wall.
I installed a clean out “T” directly off of the Garn then ran it about 4’ and through the side wall of the shop. ran another 4’ out of the building then put a 45^ elbow on the end to direct the sparks ect into a sand spark arrester box. there are no vertical flue sections on my set up.
it works great for me. no holes through the roof of the shop. my roof is over 20' high with an insulated ceiling, so I would have had to install two thimbels and 25 + feet of expensive flue. it saved me a ton of money.
I was told by Garn that this 90^ turn directly off the Garn was ok.

George - my GARN manual is silent on the use of an elbow in the horizontal discharge. They only show a T in the vertical application. I can see no reason why a single 90 in your horizontal run would be an issue.

Keep in mind that the gasses will cool in the pipe with the longer run, so watch for buildup in the last couple of sections if you have any "dirty burns".

Any word on a delivery date for your unit?

I FINALLY got the missing vent parts and the float sensor for mine. Don't expect fast responses from GARN on stuff like that.

No news yet Jim, hopefully soon. We’ve been busy picking mushrooms the last few days which is great therapy!

Status
Not open for further replies.