elbows in chimney? best angles/location? don't do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farm mom

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
The Sooner State
Hello all! I'm back again...

We bought a Fireview and are working out the install. It's going to end up in a new house (Note to the IRS: of course after being installed in the existing house) and we would really like the chimney to come up through the attic about 5 feet to one side of where the stove will set on the first floor. I hope this is going to be clearer than mud...

The stove will be installed on the first floor with 9 foot ceilings plus 2 foot of floor joist, up through second floor - 8 foot ceilings and then through attic roof - about another 8 feet. The best place for the chimney to come through the second floor is over 4 or five feet from where the stove will sit - although we could leave it straight above. The attic has bonus room potential and straight above the stove puts the chimney in an awkward spot.

It feels like the best solution in regards to useful space in the house is to put in a couple of elbows in the chimney. How will this affect sweeping? Is it best done closer to the stove? farther? amount of space between bends? really a bad idea and live with poorer use of space? 2 45's or can it be done with 30's?

The chimney will be an internal one so I think with this long of a run it should still draft well, right?

Thanks again!

four or five feet may be a little much... if you have to offset anything, offset the stovepipe, not the chimney, try to use 30 degree elbows, not 45.

The first floor piping that ties the stove with the high temp piping is called the connector pipe. It can be single or double wall connector, depending on the clearances from combustibles. From the 1st fl ceiling, through the roof, the pipe needs to be high temp, class A pipe. With its heavier insulation, this pipe has lower clearance requirements - at least 2" from combustibles. There are only 15 and 30 deg elbows allowable with this product.

If possible, I'd make the class A pipe a clean straight run, no elbows from the 1st floor ceiling through the roof. On the 1st floor, from the stove, make the offset using a short stub off the stove, then a pair of 45s with a diagonal in between piece that aligns the upper elbow with the high temp pipe coming at the ceiling support box. Note: in the piping catalogs, they often have offset charts that help you figure out the length of the diagonal piece. If the connector is done with double-wall pipe, they make telescoping sections in various lengths so that there is no cutting involved.

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, I misspoke - I was envisioning the elbows in the stovepipe not the chimney pipe.

Piping catalogs... who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.