Electric chainsaw for the lady (me)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynnergy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2012
Coast, BC
So, I've been thinking about getting an electric chainsaw to a) buck up small logs (say, less than 12") and b) for safety if someone else makes a mistake using a real chainsaw and an extra saw would be really handy to get them out of trouble (hopefully never, but you never know...). I can't even start hubby's saw, and it's too heavy for me to spend much time using it.

Pros & cons of electric saws? Would it work for what I want it for?

Pro:
- no fuel mix to make & store
- no fuel lines or carburetor that need servicing from bad/old fuel
- no carburetor to adjust
- no exhaust
- quieter
- lighter
- very easy start

Con:
- Less portability and range if using electric cord
- Good battery powered saws can be just as expensive as gas saws

Electric saws are very "real saws" and are no safer that gas saws. They produce the same kind of forces that other saws do (push, pull, kickback). They actually can be more dangerous because chaps and other protective gear are much less likely to stop them than gas saws.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I've dealt with a Ryobi and a Homelite electric a few times in the past, and for just bucking up smaller logs like that they are actually pretty good. They're light and very low maintenance compare to most gas saws, and easy to control, and provided they are at least 9 to 12 amp models, they work really well. I wouldn't try to fell anything bigger than 8 or 9 inches diameter, and if you are cutting really dense wood like locust or hedge or whatnot, I would go gas. But, as I see you are in BC, you will probably be cutting mostly conifer and aspen, so you'll be in good shape unless you are a madrone lover (I wish those beauties grew in my part of the intermountain rockies, though.) They don't tend to kick back that hard if the chain gets pinched, but if the wood is too hard or too big, they can take all day to do a normally 3 hour job. But, they can be had for less than $100, so I would say go for it. I would stay away from the cheapie ones at Harbor Freight, or you will spend all day adjusting the chain or burning out the brushes on the electric motor. Home depot actually has some pretty good deals on ones, and you can find pretty good ones on Craigslist for even less, typically guys will buy them and try to use them on bigger stuff, and sell them after less than 20 hours of use.

I would stay away from electric saws due to lack of mobility. If your husband already has a big (too heavy saw for you), then gas mix and bar oil is of no issue.
Visit a stihl dealer and look at the MS170 (if they still make it). You will be suprised how light this saw is.

Hmmm...not sure if I would consider an electric saw as a "safer" solution. As TPointer said - they will defeat chaps. Granted, they do spin at a slower rate, but being electric means they have full torque from 1 rpm up.

Ever consider a small gasser? Something like the little MS192 from Stihl with the easy start feature? It weighs 7 pounds and probably starts easier than your weed eater.

So, I've been thinking about getting an electric chainsaw to a) buck up small logs (say, less than 12") and b) for safety if someone else makes a mistake using a real chainsaw and an extra saw would be really handy to get them out of trouble (hopefully never, but you never know...). I can't even start hubby's saw, and it's too heavy for me to spend much time using it.

Pros & cons of electric saws? Would it work for what I want it for?

I have the Greenworks DigiPro 40V chainsaw and I love it (link below). It would be perfect for the use you describe above, though I've even used mine to take apart thicker logs (but you have to be patient if you are going much bigger). I also use it to noodle stubborn stuff I am having trouble splitting by hand.

Because it is battery operated, I'm not tethered to the outlet and I can take this with me in the woods as I scrounge around my property for dead stuff. The battery lasts a long time, pretty much as long as I want to spend cutting at one spell. It also charges fast, so you can plug it back in when it is dead, move and split some rounds, and then get a few more cuts with the partially recharged battery if you want (the lithium ion battery has no memory effect). I also have a few of the other Greenworks lawn tools which take the same battery. It's a really nice system to pop the battery out of the saw, and into the trimmer to keep working without having to mix gas, clean carbs, etc. The price on this seems kind of high, but over half of the price is the battery and charger. So if you buy this, and then down the road you want a pole saw, or a trimmer, or a leaf blower, they all take the same battery and are pretty cheap without the battery.

As others have said, electric saws aren't really safer, but if you need one to cut your gas saw out of a tight spot, that can be handy.

As Jags said, they have a LOT of torque, which I find to be really great. You will still need to wear protective chaps.

Another advantage of the Greenworks is that you won't disturb your neighbors. I still wear hearing protection when I use mine, but it isn't really audible beyond my property. Although I'm in the woods, I live in a pretty densely populated area so I know my neighbors appreciate that.

No fumes either, and the electricity cost to recharge the battery is negligible. Overall, it makes for a very satisfying, quick and efficient cutting experience for smaller logs. Even for medium sized logs, the 16 inch bar on this thing can really get a lot done. If you don't believe me, read the other amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-20312-DigiPro-Cordless-Chainsaw/dp/B00DRBBRU6

Reactions: Sprinter
I can tell you that electrics due to the way they are made internally- the large ring gear is plastic , pinch a chain to where it gets stopped and that gear will be stripped. avg price is about $16 with shipping to repair if you do the work. Bad thing is that gear is not always available separately. which means that they are throw away units.
Small gasser better choice- Echo, Poulan, in the 30-40cc class are lite weight and at the box store are priced in about the same class as a decent electric.
Note: gets a bit exciting when you screw up and damage the power cord as well. just like people with hedge clippers.

I can tell you that electrics due to the way they are made internally- the large ring gear is plastic , pinch a chain to where it gets stopped and that gear will be stripped. avg price is about $16 with shipping to repair if you do the work. Bad thing is that gear is not always available separately. which means that they are throw away units.
Small gasser better choice- Echo, Poulan, in the 30-40cc class are lite weight and at the box store are priced in about the same class as a decent electric.
I've pinched my chain more times than I'd like to admit, and I've never had this problem. Maybe they designed that issue out of my newer model. At any rate, I'll keep an eye out for it.

We have a 10" (if memory serves) Remington AC electric limbing saw. Used mostly for cutting up smallish limbs to go in the stove. Yep, I hate to waste even the little stuff. :)

Works great close to the house with an extension cord. It came fitted with a skip chain and cuts surprisingly fast. My main concern is it lacks a clutch; the chain won't spin freely. Have to be extra careful when using it for bucking.

Hope it helps.

If you do buy an electric saw just be sure to buy an extension that is at least 12 gauge wire and if go to 100 feet long a 10 gauge. The voltage drop kills electric motors and bigger is always better when it comes to them.

Reactions: colin.p
You most definitely should get an electric saw, they will give you the cutting experience and time on a saw that you will need. Confidence building.
Plus the pull start issue which has always been a hinderance to me. I have arm strength but I still cannot pull start a chainsaw by holding it in one hand and pulling with another. Starting a chainsaw in a tree, on a ladder. Thats where electric or battery pack saws are REALLY handy. Also pneumatic and hydraulic powered. But thats pruning equipment.
I have a Milwaukee 16" electric and a Makita 4 1/2" battery pack chainsaw (limbing) an old Poulan and I believe my brother has a Sears Craftsman electric.
I say definitely yes!!

I have a Poulan with maybe 12" bar I use in case I get a piece in the house that's a smidge too long for the stove. Makes quick work of it, but it's definitely jumpy due to the instant torque as Jags stated. I think I paid $39 for it years ago, it serves it's purpose

Great discussion as usual, thanks everyone! I certainly didn't realize how much there was to know about electric saws. I was thinking of a battery-powered saw for mobility. There seems to be a lot out there these days, even stihl has a few.

The 'cut through chaps' issue is a bit worrying. I had no idea. Hmm.

A. It's more like 6" or less.
B. It's not safer, it will still kick back on you. With less power and lighter weight you can won't get as tired holding it.

The most important, keep the chain sharp. A sharp chain will cut easier allowing to the make the most out of your saw.

I guess I was a bit off on my first reply. Did some research, and the torque put out by electric motors is full on from the moment it starts spinning, so that would make them more prone to cutting chaps if you weren't careful. If the chain is spinning slowly at low rpm's it will give it more of a kickback tendency, as opposed to gas saws that have a more progressive torque curve. That's why tree fallers always start their cuts at full RPM. Keep in mind battery powered saws will also not stay charged very long, so if you're out in the field, carry an extra battery or 2 if possible.

BadLP, good advice on the power cord gauges. Same reason it's hard to run an electric space heater on a long cord.

I have cut up to 12 inch rounds with one just fine. However, it was mostly poplar, pine, and fir. I used one on black locust and it's hard to cut more than 7 or 8 inch rounds without taking all dang day.

Last edited:
The electrics work fine. I have a corded model for small jobs. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a bucking spur to keep it on the log. It will jump around a little before diggin in since it doesn't spin as fast as a gas saw.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm a small lady which is why I like my Poulan Pro (42cc gas) - plenty of power for cutting up trees but not so much weight that I get tired after scrambling around a woodlot. It's very easy to start. I also have an electric Homelite but I haven't used it since getting the Poulan.

Since you talked about using it as a saw rescue saw, I'm guessing you're looking at battery powered models. My main gripe with batteries is they fade and need to be replaced, often at a high price. Plus you have to make sure the battery gets back on to the charger between cutting sessions. Or you find that it was sitting on the charger but the charger wasn't plugged in. Basically, when I use batteries there's a lot of user error ;em

I recently bought an Oregon CS1500. I was surprised how well it cuts 6 inch and under pieces. Like the built in chain sharpener idea but don't know how well it really works yet.

If you're looking for a saw just for cutting small wood or to rescue someone else's saw, consider a saw such as a Poulan "Wild Thing". It's a light saw, not all that loud, inexpensive, and reliable. I've had mine since 2004 (18") and I've never had to do anything with it other than replace the bar and chain and clean the air filter. I've cut big Locust and Hickory trees with it no problem. It DOES NOT like ethanol gas though. I suppose Electric saws are good for some people but it's not portable. Battery operated saws in my opinion are marketed towards homeowners doing some limbing or cutting small trees. I can't imagine they would perform well doing any hardcore cutting. Replacement batteries are also expensive.

You're looking for small and potentially portable...I'm in agreement with the Stihl MS170. Grab one with a 12" bar on it and see how it feels to you. They're $199 brand new if memory serves.
It'll have the Easy-2-Start feature and a tool-less chain adjuster. Nothing wrong with electric but as mentioned, it shouldn't be somehow considered to be any safer than a gas powered model. Granted I've not used an electric but something about chain sawing with a cord attached (trip hazard) seems wrong. (And it won't work if the power is out)
Now if it's going to sit on a shelf and get used once or twice a year to cut a broken branch in Suburbia, electric may be the way to go.

Fellow female here. Got the Stihl MS-180 Ez Start and am sooooo glad I got a gas chain saw. I have had no problems starting it. I've used it on rounds much larger than I probably should be and it has not failed to cut anything yet. I don't even mind the noise anymore and am getting pretty damn good with it after two years of shameless wood scrounging. It's just so much better than any electric you can get.

Reactions: TreePointer
I don't even mind the noise anymore....

I don't like loud noise, so I'll share what I do. With a chainsaw, I usually just wear some decent earmuffs, 30 dB NRR or greater.

Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A-Optime-Earmuff/dp/B00009LI4K (very comfortable)
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Series-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ

For extra loud engines like my ZTR mower, I wear these earplugs under the earmuffs:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_31083-98-92059-80025_0__?productId=3102175

Maybe I'm going deaf. I used to hate the noise and wear ear protection, but now I almost like hearing the power.

My big chain saw days are done, with carpal, I don't trust myself with a gas or electric chain saw.

A few years ago, the Dixette gave me a Black & Decker battery operated (rechargeable 18 V). I love the thing. It can handle 3 - 5 inch limbs. Anything bigger I call a friend :)

One plus of the battery, it inter changes with other B & D 18 V stuff. I've got the drill, circular saw, weed wacker, flashlight, etc .. and all the batteries & chargers interchange. For my needs, they are awesome!!!

Reactions: Sprinter
Status
Not open for further replies.