Electric Lawn Tractors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Where are the EM’s (Electric Mowers) of any real merit? By “any real merit”, I mean something rated above 4 acres per hour, and good for reliably running 2+ hours at full bore by end of life.

On first blush you would think an electric tractor, without a rotary mower, towing reel mowers would need far less power.

On first blush you would think an electric tractor, without a rotary mower, towing reel mowers would need far less power.
I wonder if that's true. I've pushed old-school reel type mowers, and they take a massive amount of energy to propel. There's probably no free lunch here, the same amount of "work" is ultimately done.

When a reel mower is properly set up it does not take all that much power in tow behind set up. I had a 5 gang 36" each set I used to use back in the 60's. 7.5 horsepower 2 wheel tractor with a sulky behind and then the gang. Course if you went too fast they would skip. Back 20 years ago when my shop was in a different location I would see about 3 push reel mowers a week. Some were so bad that there was nothing I could do for them others were ok and just needed attention and lapping. Bit of an art to servicing those. I do not miss them at all. And yes when I was around ten or so it was my job to mow Grandparents city lot with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen and Ashful
We use goats. The hillside is too steep to mow or weed whack. When the we get the new place done, the goats are going with us. The new place is flat enough to mow behind the house, however a large portion of that area will be reforested. The goats will be in charge of all that is not reforested except the flower beds.

Goats will follow you around like a dog. They are pretty interesting critters. I open their pen up, and they head for the pasture. When it is time for them to be put up, they head for their pen.

Three will go through about 60 bales of hay at $3.00 per bale per year. This is in additon to grazing.

We use goats. The hillside is too steep to mow or weed whack. When the we get the new place done, the goats are going with us. The new place is flat enough to mow behind the house, however a large portion of that area will be reforested. The goats will be in charge of all that is not reforested except the flower beds.

Goats will follow you around like a dog. They are pretty interesting critters. I open their pen up, and they head for the pasture. When it is time for them to be put up, they head for their pen.

Three will go through about 60 bales of hay at $3.00 per bale per year. This is in additon to grazing.

$180/yr seems like a good deal. I've been reading accounts by folks with fiber goats and they actually make a bit of money. Probably not that much, but enough to feed the animals.

$180/yr seems like a good deal. I've been reading accounts by folks with fiber goats and they actually make a bit of money. Probably not that much, but enough to feed the animals.
There are a few other expenses. I give them about a cup to a cup and a half of grain daily. Then there is the cost of bedding. We use pine shavings, and the used shavings are then used for mulch.

And if your tractor upsets you, you can shoot it, but you cannot eat it.

And if your tractor upsets you, you can shoot it, but you cannot eat it.
But your tractor is less likely to bust in the house and start eating the furniture.

Here are some serious boy toys