What are your Insurance Costs on BEV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Thinking of BEV (Tesla Model Y) when "Project Jupiner" Arrives (Next Spring)

Now I am going to sell my car (2022 Kia Seltos SX Turbo) next spring. Hopefully get new Model 3 or Y. After the upgrade that is coming. Asked Insurance what it would cost.

I pay $462.90 for 6 months (Full Coverage)

BEV will be $1198.30 for 6 months

WOW! Now some of that I can recover by not paying for Gas. I added up what I spend each month for Fuel. About $100 per month. Electricity is .06 cents. I guess about half that for charging costs. So savings of $300 per six months at most. Never will recover the costs for install of home charger.

What is everyone paying. Tesla Insurance is NOT offered in WA State. We have only payment on Tractor. No Mortgage or Rent. Just property taxes. Money not big issue, but hate throwing it away too.

Agent says can't give 100% reliable costs without VIN. Can't get VIN without buying. So Catch 22!

I think my ins went up $500/6 mos? If I recall. For a leased 2022 Bolt with a current MSRP of about $25k.

Reactions: Dataman
Thanks, but the link just says 404 Error. But I will do that. I have time on my side since I want new model, but if the prices are right might get old model.

Search teslas used inventory and you can get a VIN. It at least would let you shop around.

965A58F0-2ECC-48D4-A2CC-18BCC1EFE974.png AD8AB0F9-271F-4DFC-94C5-53D93C57E5BE.png

I pay the same for my 2019 Bolt as my last car (Chevy Sonic), or about $1100 per year.

Gave agent VIN from 2023 Model Y Long Range. "With this vin, it’s only $880.20 for six months. It does still show high performance."

Really can't wait until I get more head room. Tired on Wacking my head on getting in and out of my KIA.

IMG_20220325_155626875_HDR.jpg

We pay about $800/yr for the Volt on a 2 vehicle + homeowner policy.

Gave agent VIN from 2023 Model Y Long Range. "With this vin, it’s only $880.20 for six months. It does still show high performance."

Really can't wait until I get more head room. Tired on Wacking my head on getting in and out of my KIA.

View attachment 314035
Was it a long range performance model? 3.5 sec 0-6 is still really fast.

Reactions: Dataman
Buying a $50k+ car never was something I had considered. Insurance cost must scale with price /value. Add inflation and the fact that the repairs to Teslas are more expensive than average. It’s just going to cost more.

0-6 races would be fun. Kinda like the slow motorcycle race. How fast can you go without touching the gas pedal. That means you would have to turn creep mode on in the Tesla. And anyone who does that is just not cool.

Reactions: sloeffle
>$1800/yr on a 2019 e-Golf SE, but I'm in South Florida where these e-Golfs were never sold, so it's like driving an exotic, with the option of hitting other exotics like the Lamborghini Huracan I saw the other day as I was driving the 3 miles back to work. South Florida is also filled with uninsured/underinsured drivers, and ambulance chasing attorneys, neither helps rates. Thus, >$900 every 6 months feels a bit like extortion, but it feels cheap next to my windstorm insurance premium which has doubled since 2019.

Reactions: EbS-P
>$1800/yr on a 2019 e-Golf SE, but I'm in South Florida where these e-Golfs were never sold, so it's like driving an exotic, with the option of hitting other exotics like the Lamborghini Huracan I saw the other day as I was driving the 3 miles back to work. South Florida is also filled with uninsured/underinsured drivers, and ambulance chasing attorneys, neither helps rates. Thus, >$900 every 6 months feels a bit like extortion, but it feels cheap next to my windstorm insurance premium which has doubled since 2019.
From what I read recently, it's getting hard to get any insurance in FL & TX.

My job is in this area of the insurance industry. There’s a few things that figure into EV insurance costs. In the end it’s just a matter of frequency and severity of losses. Primarily, it’s just that EVs are more expensive to buy so they are going to be more expensive to replace.

But there are other things that can tip the scales. Lighter construction and battery configuration in some models make a vehicle more likely to be declared a total loss. When that happens we don’t have a robust secondary market for batteries or battery recycling in many areas. But there are other behavioral things, like the fact that a car that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds will sometimes in its life go 0-60 in 3 seconds and that’s not always the safest way to drive a car.

When quoting different vehicles, look at how much each coverage goes up or down. Bodily injury going up means it’s more likely to cause an accident or be more severe for the other driver. Comp and collision are going to tell you more about vehicle value, repair and salvage costs.

The industry data on losses is gathered down to the make and model. There isn’t really an EV bias, it’s just that in reality some cars have higher losses and you have to pay for that. Your results may vary.

*googles creep mode*

And here I thought the creeping you get with automatics was a bug, not a feature. 🤦‍♂️

The non-Tesla EVs I have driven all have 'creep mode' standard. The engineers wrote a LOT of software to get their EVs to drive in a way that was similar/intuitive to ICE cars.

The non-Tesla EVs I have driven all have 'creep mode' standard. The engineers wrote a LOT of software to get their EVs to drive in a way that was similar/intuitive to ICE cars.
Really? That's terrible. Honestly the thing that I hate the most when I get stuck in rush hour traffic is people inching forward toward my bumper while the light is red. And they don't even realize they're doing it. Why are they specifically writing the software to make cars intuitive to drivers of automatics. Can I get software to make it intuitive so the car doesn't move until I declutch?
Honestly a lot of low speed rear-end collisions happen either because someone's foot slipped off the brake, or they didn't realize they weren't holding the brake hard enough. Since the technology allows it, what's wrong with moving closer to the ideal of a "go" pedal and a "stop" pedal?

Last edited:
Thinking of BEV (Tesla Model Y) when "Project Jupiner" Arrives (Next Spring)

Now I am going to sell my car (2022 Kia Seltos SX Turbo) next spring. Hopefully get new Model 3 or Y. After the upgrade that is coming. Asked Insurance what it would cost.

I pay $462.90 for 6 months (Full Coverage)

BEV will be $1198.30 for 6 months

WOW! Now some of that I can recover by not paying for Gas. I added up what I spend each month for Fuel. About $100 per month. Electricity is .06 cents. I guess about half that for charging costs. So savings of $300 per six months at most. Never will recover the costs for install of home charger.

What is everyone paying. Tesla Insurance is NOT offered in WA State. We have only payment on Tractor. No Mortgage or Rent. Just property taxes. Money not big issue, but hate throwing it away too.

Agent says can't give 100% reliable costs without VIN. Can't get VIN without buying. So Catch 22!
2023 Tesla Model Y LR - $537.30 for 6 months. full coverage, $1000 deductible for comp/collision.

Reactions: EbS-P
And then more lines of code so you can turn it on and off and select the amount of regeneration. I will say once you get used to the regen braking once you let off the go pedal Tesla has done a good job. I will say it is oriented for a more aggressive driving style.

Reactions: gthomas785
Took minutes to get used to one pedal driving in the Tesla and fact that the car does not creep at a stop light is wonderful. Why anyone would write code to simulate automatic transmission creep just seems dumb.

Just renewed. Insurance rates have increased 150$ (for my policy that covers 2011 odyssey,2012 rav4, and 2016 X P100d) in a year. Now paying 900$ for all three every six months.