Electronic Engineer Needed - Metering BTU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel metering is common on solid fuel industrial and utility boilers. It's usually done on scale conveyors. It's much more difficult to measure throughput in an auger because the fill density of the fuel in the auger varies quite a bit. I would agree with Peakbagger's analysis. There would have to be quite a few assumptions made to make it practical for a homeowner's pellet stove to meter fuel input. Measuring stove heat output BTU is even more problematic. The temp is pretty easy to measure but flow rate would be a bear. There's not enough straight lengths of ductwork to get a decent reading.
you measure the air in...cause in equal to the air out

Yea, thinking about it, dealing with cool air is easier than hot air. (I won't even make the obvious political connection). Instrumentation might be affected by the heat.

Not CFM per CFM. The volume of air out is higher than the volume of air in because it expands as it's heated. You have to make corrections for temperature difference. My Integra uses an air flow sensor on the combustion side that corrects for temperature so the stove knows how fast to spin the combustion blower. I think it works like a MAF sensor on a car. Most stoves don't measure air flow. The air flow sensor on my stove is on the combustion side but I guess you could install it in the convection side IF the air went through a straight duct. It would be tough on a lot of stoves. No good place to install the sensor.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.