elektrikal qwestion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
my plan calls for 2 seperate aquastats to control 1 circulator. how can i do this with out just tying the line together? i dont like the idea of backfeeding the voltage to the oposite aquastat. i need some kind of diode or relay, i just cant put my finger on exactly what i need. any ideas?

futureboiler said:
my plan calls for 2 seperate aquastats to control 1 circulator. how can i do this with out just tying the line together? i dont like the idea of backfeeding the voltage to the oposite aquastat. i need some kind of diode or relay, i just cant put my finger on exactly what i need. any ideas?

If you want the circulator to come on if either aquastat is 'on', you can wire the aquastats in parallel with each other, and in series with the circulator. If you want the situation where both aquastas need to be 'on', wire the aquastats in series. No extra components needed in either case.

futureboiler said:
nofossil - maybe some type of diagram?i think i understand what your saying, just wanna make sure.

I'm on the road - can't do diagrams right now. I'll try more words instead.

Parallel: black / hot 110vac line goes to same terminal on each aquastat. Second terminals on each aquastat are connected together and to black lead on circ. White lead on circ goes to white 100vac line.

nofossil said:
futureboiler said:
nofossil - maybe some type of diagram?i think i understand what your saying, just wanna make sure.

I'm on the road - can't do diagrams right now. I'll try more words instead.

Parallel: black / hot 110vac line goes to same terminal on each aquastat. Second terminals on each aquastat are connected together and to black lead on circ. White lead on circ goes to white 100vac line.

Now that's boiler room dedication, answering posts on the road. Mobile?

What are you planning to do with the 2 aquastats? how about a brief description?

Bob

I think this is what you have in mind:

The top diagram has the 'stats in parallel to each other, but the group is in series with the pump. Either 'stat turning on will start the pump. Bottom diagram has 'stats and pump in series. Both stats need to be on to start the pump.

Attachments

• series-parallel.jpg
    series-parallel.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 272
that helps me out big time. thats kind of what i got from your first post, just needed to make things clearer in my head so as to not blow up my basement. heres the reason for 2 aquastats working 1 pump thing. my boiler comes equiped with one aquastat thats only function is to control the temp in the boiler. on its high limit it will close the contacts for a circulator, to prevent overheating. the manual (which i have been reading online, since i dont have this thing yet) is no help for hooking up a thermostat. the only thing it says about hooking up a thermostat is that you will need to add another aquastat. nice huh? anyways, so i will add another aquastat that will work off the thermostat. i guess my only question is, do i have any electrical issues if both aquastats close their contactacts at the same time? its pretty unlikely, but it could happen.

Sounds like you would definitely want the top option in the drawing...where either stat could turn on the pump. There should not be any trouble with both stats being on at the same time. Actually, if they do come on at the same time, they would be sharing the load of the pump, which means each stat would only be handling 1/2 the power it normally would - so a slightly better situation. Though each stat should be rated to handle the full power of the pump.

This should be obvious, but make sure both stats are powered from a single circuit.

nofossil said:
I'm not actually on the road physically. I'm in Albuquerque, during a break in a training session.

You were supposed to make a left turn at Albuquerque!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.