Whitfield Adv. Plus Starting/Controller Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thestip

Jan 26, 2015
santa cruz, ca
Hey everyone! When I press the start button on my stove, everything either turns on for just a moment then powers off, or everything stays on for 1-2 seconds then powers off. Sometimes I can press start again to repeat the process, more often I need to unplug it for a moment before I can use the button again. It can take anywhere from 2-15+ tries to get started, then it runs fine.

I know there are repair places out there, but money's tight and I know how to solder. The start switch and diodes above it tested ok, but those caps have taken a lot of heat over the years. I was going to replace them in hopes that fixes it. Any additional help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! When I press the start button on my stove, everything either turns on for just a moment then powers off, or everything stays on for 1-2 seconds then powers off. Sometimes I can press start again to repeat the process, more often I need to unplug it for a moment before I can use the button again. It can take anywhere from 2-15+ tries to get started, then it runs fine.

I know there are repair places out there, but money's tight and I know how to solder. The start switch and diodes above it tested ok, but those caps have taken a lot of heat over the years. I was going to replace them in hopes that fixes it. Any additional help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hello
I would try replacing the AC cord first. That is exactly what happens when the contacts start to go bad.

Reactions: ARC