Elementary Question - Manual Ignition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma869

Feeling the Heat
Aug 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Good Sunday Morning...

It just occurred to me that my Harman Accentra insert had the same toggle switch that my new P68 has. What would I use the manual ignition for? Obviously, with it set to auto, everything fires up fine. I'm sure there is a purpose for it that I'm not quite connecting the dots on. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

John

Read the sticky at the top of the page and it may or may not clear up the question. Once our main stove is lit we turn the switch to manual and force the stove to go into a maintenance fire to keep it from shutting down and starting up using the igniter. Our home can absorb the 7k btu or so once we get below 40 degrees.

I always use manual ignition and start the pellet burner with a torch. Igniter causes too much smoke in neighborhood. One time my neighbors thought my house was on fire and nearly called the fire dept. I can manually start it as fast as the igniter with very little smoke and like was mentioned above I set it for a continuous burn until spring (or clean-out). No need to deal with igniter problems.

Thank you for the feedback. I knew there had to be some purpose for it. It's nice to know that I can switch it to manual mode after lit, to avoid the igniter being overused. I always worked with my Accentra in Room Temp mode. I'm going to try to work with my P68 in stove mode and simply adjust it up or down, depending on what I have going on for a temperature inside. This P68 is a serious stove. What a difference 25 BTU's can make!

Status
Not open for further replies.