Elk !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coldinnj said:
Yes 30 ACRES. It was a huge roof. We used Trocal and Flagon then. Yes true rubbver. Glad to see you know what you are talking about. You would be surprised at how many people think torch down is rubber. We welded this with a solvent and if needed used a heat gun for problem welds.
Yes the old was pitch. Did many roofs with that. I'll probably get skin cancer as I age from what I did in the business.
Started my hot roof days as the kettle man. After melting it I would use the roof boom to hand pull the buckets of hotup to the roof. I was in great shape then. When we were short handed I would pull to buckets simultaneously up then tie off the rope at the bottom. Run up the ladder and mop out. Then hook the empties back up go down the ladder and repeat. Oh and BTW while on the roof I had to keep my eyes out for yellow smoke of course. When playing around in the summer, man could I climb ropes!
Also did the roll carrying tests. Had other helpers pick them up put them on our shoulders and see who could walk the farthest.
After winning the one guy wouldn't pay up. Amazing how holding him off the edge of the roof and explaining how tired my arms were getting convinced him to honor the bet.
Also after clearing the roof and laying insul we then layed a barrier of what looked like aluminum foil. Beautifully smoothe. Perfect reflector. Nothing like being on a factory roof, in the summer walking on a perfect reflector. Ahhh the feel of pitch burn covered with sunburn. Not to complain but I paid my dues in the trade. Sounds like you may have worked with me ;).

If not with ya, same as you. ;) I would wear shorts in the summer, I can tell ya that the reflection up said shorts, caused sunburn in said areas I never thought I would get sunburned. And the worst part was, didn't know things were burned til it was too late LOL. If you were heat welding seams, that sounds like hypalon. Ive done that also.
Used both hand seam heater, and a machine. Whe I first started rubber, ya had to spice wash, then prime, then glue the seams. Shortly after I got away from roofing, it was just prime & use a seam tape. Things have changed alot in the past 7 yrs. I remember one hot day I forgot my shorts, and was working in just my boxer briefs LOL.
Was a fun time, and paying alot of the price now. Roofers don;t get much respect, but not many willing to do the job either. Much more to the job & the people than most folks realize. Not to mention hiding/covering alot of other traders boo boo's. I'd prolly do it all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.