emerald ash borer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information. Very informative article and it does explain more of the situation. I really had no idea of the borer, where it came from, and what was in the future of trying to stop it.

Hitting hard in SW Michigan. Grand Rapids and some of the suburbs have had to cut all their ash trees and dispose them to not spread the borer. There are signs at most all the campgrounds around the state telling of the dangers of transporting firewood and the restrictions. There is now a fix for infected trees, I believe it is through Michigan State University.......sorry, don't have the address for that fix.........

I didn't check your link Driftwood, but I remember seeing a story about a chemical fix in which the base of the tree is doused....think I recall it cost 100-200 a tree....

^^$200.00 or $2.00??? the articles no help and why can't I do that myself...it's not rocket science. Just make the chem available to the public.

ps btw thanks for the link churchie.

Several universities have advocated Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub insecticide. This is a systemic poured around the base of the tree. The concentration needed varies according to tree circumfrence at chest height. It's expensive (roughly $70 per gallon of concentrate) but wouldn't cost $200 per tree. Worth looking into to protect a few trees.

fraxinus said:
Several universities have advocated Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub insecticide. This is a systemic poured around the base of the tree. The concentration needed varies according to tree circumfrence at chest height. It's expensive (roughly $70 per gallon of concentrate) but wouldn't cost $200 per tree. Worth looking into to protect a few trees.

I edited my original post. ..

Wow you are right, tree guy said that they are treating with this (under tradename Merit) . . sounds like a diy for avg. homeowner based on this link http://www.entm.purdue.edu/EAB/eabPdf/bayer.pdf, not to expensive either, thanks for the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.