Emergency cooling coil in the EKO - anyone use it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
Has anyone considered using the "emergency boiler cooling system" on their EKO's for something useful? First off - I don't have a clue as to how it's piped inside the boiler. Is it simply another water jacket?

If it is just another water jacket I'd love to use it to pre-heat my DHW. I'm sure there will be loads of good reasons not to do this (such as cooling the boiler too much during operation) but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what the fine people here think...

I think it's a coil or other piping arrangement within the water jacket. But it's mild steel, not copper or ss, so you might have a corrosion problem, over time, if you tried to run oxygenated water through it. As I understand it, it's designed only for occasional use in relative emergencies. I think it's a Euro code thing, which is why nobody recommends using it on this side of the Atlantic. I suppose you could get around the corrosion potential problem by getting fancy and turning it into a closed loop with a heat exchanger, but that's a lot more work than just modifying an existing zone.

Anyway, it's a moot point with me. I had to cut mine off to get it to fit in my boiler room.

Very interesting. I don't plan on touching mine but I thought it would be interesting to consider. Eventually I'll pre-heat my DHW but not this year.

Thanks for the replies, as usual....

I find that interesting. Tarms have the option of putting in a DHW coil and mine has one. Perhaps an alternate power out overheat option is to put an automag or like valve that opens when the power goes out on the DHW coil emptying down a drain. Would that cool the boiler enough in an overheat power out situation? It sounds less expensive than a separate overheat loop.

I've been using mine for warm water for my donkeys in the winter. I'ts close to my barn and they like the warm water better than cold. I'ts surprizing how often you want some hot water when you are outside. It even worked good with mt pressure washer a couple of times.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.