Empress blower failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90durham

Jul 18, 2008
Southeast Ontario
Hey: Has anyone replaced the distribution/ convection blower on a FS Empress? Mine started squealing this morning and then stopped turning. I spoke to my dealer and he said to remove the fan/ motor and bring it over, I am asking how difficult it is and are there are any tips to make it easier. I am hoping that it just needs a better cleaning and the coupling tightened.
For the most part I am fairly handy with anything except electrical and have the panels removed and motor disconnected already.
Thanks for any and all help.

90durham said:
Hey: Has anyone replaced the distribution/ convection blower on a FS Empress? Mine started squealing this morning and then stopped turning. I spoke to my dealer and he said to remove the fan/ motor and bring it over, I am asking how difficult it is and are there are any tips to make it easier. I am hoping that it just needs a better cleaning and the coupling tightened.
For the most part I am fairly handy with anything except electrical and have the panels removed and motor disconnected already.

It is not that easy but if you are able to lay down and work in tight places it is doable. I have removed 10 this month alone because I pull them on every service to get the house dust out.
UNPLUG the stove
Remove the sides panels
T20 tourq sqrew driver
JUST loosen the two screws holding the blower on the stoves Right (combustion blower side)
Remove the screws on the Stoves left side ( control Panel side)
Pull the wires off.
Fish the blower out on the left side
The wires for the ignitor might get tangled in the blower so be carefull.

90durham said:

Is this still under warranty? If not, and since you're going to remove the fan/motor anyway, why not try cleaning it and maybe give the bearings a shot of oil? Does the fan turn at all when you try turning it by hand? If you have compressed air, blow it out good.

If under warranty, forget all that....LOL.

macman said:
90durham said:

Is this still under warranty? If not, and since you're going to remove the fan/motor anyway, why not try cleaning it and maybe give the bearings a shot of oil? Does the fan turn at all when you try turning it by hand? If you have compressed air, blow it out good.

If under warranty, forget all that....LOL.
This time of year it might take a week for them to get someone out if it is warrantee.
and it could be just from Lack of service.
it is a trans flow blower. no real area to oil
but if the blower gets full of house dust and pet hair it will fail.
this is why I pull every blower when I service. even it it does take me an extra 15 minutes. I know the blower will be clean

Mine went this weekend...
My tech had warned me a month ago that he thought the bearing were going (3+ years of service), so I had ordered one and have it now ready to install.
It never stopped turning, just makes very high pitched squeal...

Status
Not open for further replies.