Enamel Damage on New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Store model, dropped, or returned. Just unpacked my Oslo - I was worried because the cardboard box had taken a beating, then I hauled it on a trailer on MA roads....

No signs of any damage to the enamel. I took the doors off to reduce the weight while we moved it - the washers fell off - suggesting someone has already taken the doors off yours to get it into a house...

I would get them to take the whole thing back or look to at least $500 back. I would chose a brand new stove.

I would send it back. They are not going to give you the stove for 500 bucks which is what a used stove is worth...so you may as well get what you paid for...Or find another dealer...

Agreed. you paid for a new stove. Don't settle for this crap.

BB - Who had the guys drop a Jotul and break it on the sidewalk and the dealer went bankrupt before it got fixed. Jotul didn't want to hear about it.

I just discovered this forum...what great info!

We had a Jotul F3 (Majolica Brown) delivered last week and discovered several problems with the stove. I’m wondering how unusual (or typical) this experience is and looking for suggestions for an acceptable resolution. It’s so disappointing that our new stove doesn’t seem very new and actually is in worse shape than the 30 year-old enamel Morso that it replaces.

1. Ash Lip is chipped on both ends (was wrapped in plastic w/no chips of enamel found in the wrapping). The dealer ordered a replacement.

2. Hinges on the door are both chipped; there was no washer on either hinge. The dealer ordered a replacement door.

3. Front of stove is chipped on both hinges and has a small chip at top of the door opening. The dealer suggested ‘touching up’ the chipped areas.

4. The Rear Vent is ‘knocked-out’ (many small chips of enamel were in the ash pan). Jotul documentation (and salesperson) says rear vent cover is in place for all F3’s except Ivory and needs to be knocked-out by the owner if using rear venting. We’re using the rear vent – but wondered why it was already removed. Can anyone else w/Brown Majolica tell me if their stove had the rear vent already knocked-out?

5. There’s a dime-size ‘blob’ of what appears to be stove cement on the lower edge of the stove. The dealer had us use warm, soapy water to soften it and the scrape off with a razor blade. Most of it came off but there are still some small pieces there.

Thanks -- we're really looking forward to getting this stove up & running!

Yeah, something doesnt add up. Maybe that was a display model or something. I agree with asking for a new stove or a deep discount if I was you. It doesnt feel good to pay top dollar for a nice piece of equipment and have to start out by scraping and replacing things

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I'm still very curious about the rear vent being already 'knocked-out' of this stove and the conflicting info from the dealer. Any thoughts on how to go about confirming that Jotul either does or doesn't ship the stoves with the rear vent cover in place? Is there a way to contact Jotul USA directly? I get the impression they send you right back to the dealer.

Did you pay by credit card? If so you may have more leverage with your dealer if they don't make it right.. I would give the bank a call for guidance just in case they leave you holding the bag..

bren582 said:
Did you pay by credit card? If so you may have more leverage with your dealer if they don't make it right.. I would give the bank a call for guidance just in case they leave you holding the bag..

yup -
step 1 - call bank / credit card. co and tell them to cancel payment
step 2 - call dealer and tell them payment has been canceled and you will have cash/check ready for when they deliver your new stove and remove the broken pos

Not typical out-of-the-crate Jotul . . . take it back for a new one . . . if you paid for new, you should get new.

Ours wasn't enamel, but I can tell you that there was not one scratch on any surface anywhere, even after the stove shop guys uncrated it, sat it on our hearth, hung the doors, and removed all the packing material. Sounds like yours had some very rough handling, or perhaps it's not really a new stove, but a floor demo model or something.

I'd definitely demand a new replacement stove, if the dealer represented it as a new one.

And don't forget that if you paid with a credit card you have a very large hammer to get a new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.