1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Enamel vs paint

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by begreen, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is just an observation, not trying to stir up any aethetic wars. But I fired up the new Castine expecting a few days of smoke-you-out for the first few burns. However, just like the 3CB, the smoke was very minimal. And by the third fire non-existant. So for folks where this might be an issue, I think at least some enamel stoves may have a lot less breakin smoking.

Is this just Jotuls, or generally true with porcelain enamel finishes vs paint?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Probably because they bake the enamel finishes. You get to bake the painted ones.
  3. daninohio

daninohio New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I got an enamel stove as well and essentially had no smoke at all, just a little odor the first time I got the temperature up a bit.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that is a better description. We had a little odor, but no visible smoke.
  5. senorFrog

senorFrog New Member

I just got my Oslo in, but not hooked up yet. How did you like the fit and finish of your enamel. I guess I'm being paranoid, but I notice so many imperfections in MINE. I'll have to go to the store and take a look at the display for a sanity check.
  6. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

SenorFrog, you may find this article helpful.

My insert is paint and, no smell whatsoever during burn in. I've always been a little suspicious, everyone else usually goes through a painful first few days.
  7. senorFrog

senorFrog New Member

Thanks for that article!

No flaws, I'm just giving it a military inspection. Look up under & behind legs, etc.
  8. mmichaud

mmichaud Member

Loc:
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    My Jotul Castine is the black matte paint. It smoked like crazy during the last break in fire. Set off the smoke alarms. After the 6th fire it does not smoke anymore.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.