1. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is just an observation, not trying to stir up any aethetic wars. But I fired up the new Castine expecting a few days of smoke-you-out for the first few burns. However, just like the 3CB, the smoke was very minimal. And by the third fire non-existant. So for folks where this might be an issue, I think at least some enamel stoves may have a lot less breakin smoking.

Is this just Jotuls, or generally true with porcelain enamel finishes vs paint?

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Probably because they bake the enamel finishes. You get to bake the painted ones.

3. daninohio

daninohio
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 3, 2006
    Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I got an enamel stove as well and essentially had no smoke at all, just a little odor the first time I got the temperature up a bit.

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that is a better description. We had a little odor, but no visible smoke.

5. senorFrog

senorFrog
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 31, 2006
    I just got my Oslo in, but not hooked up yet. How did you like the fit and finish of your enamel. I guess I'm being paranoid, but I notice so many imperfections in MINE. I'll have to go to the store and take a look at the display for a sanity check.

6. Rhone

Rhone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2005
    SenorFrog, you may find this article helpful.

My insert is paint and, no smell whatsoever during burn in. I've always been a little suspicious, everyone else usually goes through a painful first few days.

7. senorFrog

senorFrog
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 31, 2006
    Thanks for that article!

No flaws, I'm just giving it a military inspection. Look up under & behind legs, etc.

8. mmichaud

mmichaud
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 6, 2006
    Loc:
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    My Jotul Castine is the black matte paint. It smoked like crazy during the last break in fire. Set off the smoke alarms. After the 6th fire it does not smoke anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.