End of an ERA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm sad to say that my favorite stove store is closing down. Today is the last day of business for Tom Oyen's The Chimney Sweep. After 40+ years Tom is closing up shop. Early on, Tom was a champion for clean stove burning and traveled around the region to promote cleaner burning technology when it was first introduced. He has a huge amount of knowledge about wood burning and shared it generously. Always a gentleman, he guaranteed satisfaction with his work and stoves. I wish him a very happy retirement and hope @thechimneysweep will stop by once in a while here to share his adventures. Stop by at www.chimneysweeponline and wish him a happy retirement. Wishing you the best Tom. Thank you for all you have contributed to the stove community.

Last edited:
With the 2020 switch over he picked a good time to retire. All though I’ve never met him, I’ve only heard good about the guy!

I've referenced his website many times!

Good for him to make it through the test of time and clean burn technology. I wasn't selling stoves for EPA phase 2 that came in and closed a lot of stoves from being continued on. Tom must really have some stories to tell.

Reactions: webby3650
Good for him to make it through the test of time and clean burn technology. I wasn't selling stoves for EPA phase 2 that came in and closed a lot of stoves from being continued on. Tom must really have some stories to tell.
I think a lot more stores won’t make it through this phase either. Particularly those that have a lot of inventory.

Webby, I hear you. My old stove store is a huge Jotul seller, I've heard they are not loving life. They always stock heavy Jotul and Quadrafire. I have also heard it has made them look more at gas fireplaces and gas stoves, something they resisted to embrace for the past 15-20 years. Keep warm.

The stove lines he carried were mostly 2020 compliant. After 40+ years of service, he deserves to get out and enjoy life outside of the stove shop. He is starting off the new year and decade on a new adventure. I hope our paths cross again.

The stove lines he carried were mostly 2020 compliant. After 40+ years of service, he deserves to get out and enjoy life outside of the stove shop. He is starting off the new year and decade on a new adventure. I hope our paths cross again.
We also carry lines that are mostly 2020, that doesn’t mean they can deliver the stoves. We sold off all of our displays and now have only a few stoves to replace the 30+ that were sold off. We too were a huge Jotul dealer, now we’re are left with only the Oslo V3 and the 602...
We have a strong gas, and service business, if it wasn’t for that it would be a bigger struggle. There’s only a few woodstoves that meet 2020 that have actually made it to the dealers and this should be the busy time.
Dealers have been “busy” offloading stoves at a discount.

PE started early, maybe to have stoves Montreal ready?

He seemed like a great guy, stopped by now and then and was more than happy to share his knowledge and help members out, I wish him a happy retirement, we all deserve to enjoy our older years.

When I was looking to buy a T5 for my SIL, I was in communication with Tom and he patiently answered several questions I had regarding the 2019 vs. the 2020 LE. I appreciated that, and hold him in high regard.
I wanted to buy the 2019 stove from him, but he was already out of them. I foolishly hooked myself up with a crappy dealer in Louisville.
I was hoping to order any parts needed in the future through Tom, but that's out now. :(
Tom, best of luck to you going forward, and thank you. :)

Reactions: weatherguy
Well, it is sad to see so many stoves go away. Not just Jotul (altho hearing the Firelight is gone is a shame) I hear Enviro is concentrating now on pellet and gas, espec gas. Anyone know about Quadrafire? I know Osburn and Regency are getting models approved promptly.

Reactions: webby3650
Well, it is sad to see so many stoves go away. Not just Jotul (altho hearing the Firelight is gone is a shame) I hear Enviro is concentrating now on pellet and gas, espec gas. Anyone know about Quadrafire? I know Osburn and Regency are getting models approved promptly.
I heard that the new quad doesn’t have an air control. I can’t remember where I heard that. I think a rep told us that?

I heard that the new quad doesn’t have an air control. I can’t remember where I heard that. I think a rep told us that?
Hht apparently did it with one of the vermont castings inserts so it is a possibility. If so what a complete cop out.

Hht apparently did it with one of the vermont castings inserts so it is a possibility. If so what a complete cop out.
I agree. I loved my quad, my inlaws now love it. What a shame that would be..

I agree. I loved my quad, my inlaws now love it. What a shame that would be..
I had one for a while and liked it. My father is still running a quad

Quads are made in WA state. I have always liked them too, but have only owned one of their pellet stoves. Country stoves are similar except for the T top models.

Happy retirement, Tom @thechimneysweep

I am going to miss talking to you :)

Enjoy the new bionic eyeballs :cool:

Enviro is done. You may be able to get a black cast iron model, but the chestnut brown stoves are all sold out. Cash up front. I have been told this information by a local dealer here . They also carry Blaze King, Pacific Energy and Enerzone. All are 2020 compliant. The are doing well with their business. Still some people will most likely lose their jobs over this.

Enviro is done. You may be able to get a black cast iron model, but the chestnut brown stoves are all sold out. Cash up front. I have been told this information by a local dealer here . They also carry Blaze King, Pacific Energy and Enerzone. All are 2020 compliant. The are doing well with their business. Still some people will most likely lose their jobs over this.
Enerzone was a line of stoves created by SBI to sell through the UBG at participating dealers (United Buyers Group) Sbi has parted ways with UBG and the line will likely disappear. Too bad, It was a nice stove.

Enerzone was a line of stoves created by SBI to sell through the UBG at participating dealers (United Buyers Group) Sbi has parted ways with UBG and the line will likely disappear. Too bad, It was a nice stove.
I am not in the business so I don’t know for sure on Enerzone. They do have several EPA 2020 compliant models available. Why spend the time and money upgrading if you are going out of business? Especially in Montreal? Time will tell I guess.

I am not in the business so I don’t know for sure on Enerzone. They do have several EPA 2020 compliant models available. Why spend the time and money upgrading if you are going out of business? Especially in Montreal? Time will tell I guess.
SBI isn’t going anywhere. Enerzone was a slightly different stove than their other stoves, with better features. Who knows what they have planned for it, they have withdrawn from their UBG agreement is all I know.