End of an ERA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Almost a new burner here…still waiting for PE Neo 1.6 insert to get through EPA testing and arrive for installation. Dumb luck/great fortune to have ordered back in July the insert, liner and parts from Tom. Initially had no idea of the fountain of knowledge he had but beyond that being a genuinely great guy. Tom was very patient and generous with his time to answer all questions; to which I would return home and write notes only to come up with more questions. I enjoyed and feel privileged to have spent numerous occasions with Tom figuring out what would fit my needs and all the other things that go with becoming a new burner. Actually, I haven't minded the delay because I feel even more prepared to jump in the fire. All the best in your retirement.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and a special thanks to Webfish for publishing my Sweep's Library here on Hearth.com. I worked on those articles for over 20 years, and just HATED the idea they were going to end up in the internet graveyard.

Please note that I'm retired, but not out to pasture quite yet. I've extended my lease through January so I can be here to make delivery of the 2020 models that haven't yet made it through testing. I'm available at toyen@chimneysweeponline until Feb 1, and can be reached thereafter at my new E-mail address, [email protected].

A final note to Begreen and the other regular contributors here at Hearth.com: Keep up the good work. The wood heat community benefits greatly from your efforts.

I heard that the new quad doesn’t have an air control. I can’t remember where I heard that. I think a rep told us that?
If user control is taken out of it with these "single burn rate" rigs, it's not for me. That doesn't sound like any fun at all! ==c

Reactions: Ludlow
Sad news for us, Tom Oyen, The Chimney Sweep, passed away in September. I just found out after finding his phone was disconnected. Tom was a friend and mentor and the best stove shop owner I ever met. He was one of the original Hearth.com gang and fount of stove lore and wisdom. Tom will be greatly missed. He was always a gentleman and one of a kind.

Tom, was the bestest.

Reactions: begreen and clancey
:(

Way back when I had only been here on the forum for a little while, somehow I became aware of Tom's site and lucked on to a sale on Aga cookstoves. [See avatar] Tom and I worked on my order for one, had to be shipped from England through Canada and then thru the US to me. We are using it this week to cook a turkey and etc. Tom was a great resource for information and I spent a lot of time perusing his articles and gazing at all the various stoves he had on the site.