1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Energy-efficient CFL bulbs cause skin damage, say researchers

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Weird tolkienish figure, Jul 23, 2012.

1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2012.01192.x/abstract

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Sounds like skin reacts to CFLs' as though they are "mini suns".
  3. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester, Mass
    Then wouldnt you get the same results working/living under regular fluorescent lights?
    firebroad likes this.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Dunno. I don't have any idea of what is different between the CFL style and the old fashion tube style.
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Good thing I have a large supply of old fashion light bulbs. I cannot read or see well with the new compact floro ones.
    Realstone likes this.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hard to say how much an issue this is without being able to read the whole report. Is this more of a lab test or real world risk? For example, at what distance was the UV radiation measured and at what strength? How does this compare to UV exposure by sunlight? I won't be changing any bulbs, but will refrain from smearing my body with titanium dioxide while in the house.

"The response of the cells to the CFLs was consistent with damage from UV radiation, which was further enhanced when low dosages of TiO2 nanoparticles (NPs), normally used for UV absorption, were added prior to exposure."
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I say we go right to LEDs. another plus is NO MERCURY
    guy01 and Adios Pantalones like this.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Straight to Venus?
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Uranus.
  10. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Thats right,send all the mercury to uranus
    Pallet Pete and Realstone like this.
  11. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Fry: Oh, man, this is great! Hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus.
    [He laughs.]
    Leela: I don't get it.
    Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all..
    Fry: Oh. What's it called now?
    Farnsworth: Urectum.
    Hearth Mistress likes this.
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Well, yah know that Spock and Kirk and the gang on the star ship Enterprize are on a voyage to Uranus... ...to wipe out the Klingons.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  13. ihookem

ihookem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Allenton, Wisconsin
    There are bulbs that look just like incadecants but are halogen. A 40 equal uses 28 watts . A hundred equal =72 watts. Nice light, should last a long time and no mercury. I dropped a cfl on the basement floor. Looked at it, shrugged my shoulders 5 times and said now what?? It's mercury.
  14. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    This has been known for a long time, not a new or recent discovery. Walking outside into daylight causes skin damage. Breathing ever-polluted air causes lung damage. Bright light causes eye damage. Loud sounds cause hearing damage. And breathing mercury in air from coal fired electric plants which light incandescent bulbs causes neural damage. I'll continue to use CFL's, gradually replace with LED's solely because they are more efficient. Cheers.
    woodgeek likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I don't understand why this is news !
  16. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Not walking outside, especially in winter, can cause vitamin D deficiency. One wonders if CFL's convey a benefit in this regard that outweighs other risks?

Ehouse
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Digging up an old one eh? We had a similar thread last week......
  18. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I am always initially skeptical about these kinds of reports....this could just be a "marketing" effort on the part of those who don't like CFLs or LED bulb manufacturers.

But, overall, I'm with jebatty. LEDs are getting better, and prices are coming down. The new Philips L-prize bulb is a great example of a more efficient technology with a more consistent light quality, though the price is too high for my taste right now. However, as my CFLs burn out, I can see starting to cycle in the L-price LED bulbs to replace them. Not because of alleged UV effects of CFL bulbs, but because of their higher efficiency, nearly perpetual light, and higher lumens on initial power up.
  19. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    I have enough worry getting sunburn from staring at my fire all day, now I have to worry about light bulbs? I'm gonna die something, eventually, so screw all of it. I'm off to burn something non organic in a teflon pan in my kitchen with no ventilation under CFL bulbs while smoking unfiltered Camels drinking something with artificial sweeteners (not really, I don't have any of this stuff anyway) ;)
    Jags likes this.