england stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homer1

Jan 2, 2011
alb nm
on this forum looks like the england stoves have a lot of problems
more than other stoves why is this ?
was tkinkng about getting one but don't want a lot of problems to go with it
is the problems with the older one or are the new one just as bad

Any pellet stove can have problems. The reason you read more about the problems for Englander is probably for 2 reasons:
1. Englander customers dont have a local hearth professional where they bought the stove for service, they are sold thru big box stores, online sellers..well, just about anyone who isnt a hearth retailer
2. Because they are so cheap a lot more Englanders are sold than other higher end brands. More stoves sold=more reports of issues.

As far as a big box store stove goes, its actually good quality. You also have great phone support from Englander. As far as I can see, if your looking for value and you dont mind doing repairs on your own, Englander is a fine choice. Best in that $1000-$1500 price category.

A lot of people on this forum seem to like Englander stoves. I would think about the same issues that you would have buying anything from a large box store vs a local hearth store. Are you willing to accept phone support only and service it yourself? How available are parts? These may be acceptable compromises for you for the lower cost of the stove. You just need to consider them before you buy.

Englander stoves have many different settings.. Other than the 9 Heat and 9 Fan settings, they have a LBF-LBA-AOT... Low Burn Air, Low Burn Fuel, and Air on Temp. Problems Arise when people decide to mess with these numbers that can and will change the burn of the stove. Just changing the LBA one or two points can mean disaster. But everyone thinks there a pro. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it. I believe that's why they have so many problems. The more adjustment you have , the more people will adjust it........ Adjust it Out of Whack...... Then not remember the "Factory" settings.. Good Stove though.Especially for the money. One can be had really cheap used.

homer1 said:
on this forum looks like the england stoves have a lot of problems
more than other stoves why is this ?
was tkinkng about getting one but don't want a lot of problems to go with it
is the problems with the older one or are the new one just as bad

It seems that you really haven't watched this forum for any length of time, or you'd have noticed that the HARMAN stoves, which are supposed to be the "Cadillac" of stoves, have many more threads with problems than most any other, and far more than Englander.

Granted, there are a lot of Harman's out there, but for the price they charge, there shouldn't be anywhere near the # of problems with them as there are, IMO.

If you ask pretty much anyone on this forum, the Englander tech service is pretty much second to none in the stove business.....including having a Senior tech on the forum. If you are the least bit handy with tools, they are a good, solid stove that you should be able to use, and work on easily.

According to my data, You will have a 3.59% chance of needing a new part within the first three years of owners ship with an Englander. Note that you will have a 78% chance of needing a new part within years 4-7. Most of my repair data comes from the PDV and the PDVC and summers heat equivalent. Check out the CMP-10, very good little stove, great repair record thus far and meets the toughest Oregon emission tests of under 2 grams per hour...the PDV and PDVC do not.

link to post: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74399/

smwilliamson said:
According to my data, You will have a 3.59% chance of needing a new part within the first three years of owners ship with an Englander. Note that you will have a 78% chance of needing a new part within years 4-7. Most of my repair data comes from the PDV and the PDVC and summers heat equivalent. Check out the CMP-10, very good little stove, great repair record thus far and meets the toughest Oregon emission tests of under 2 grams per hour...the PDV and PDVC do not.

link to post: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74399/

And even if that 78% figure is correct the part most likely to need replacement or repair (PDVC,PDV models) would be an auger motor. They are available for as low as $59 and simple to replace .
If you consider the cost of a service call for any brand pellet stove conservatively at $75+ plus parts , the Englander makes good economical sense.
Easy to repair stoves and uncomparable over the phone (one on one) support has been key to their success.
And lets not forget that there are other contributing elements too such as their lower cost and the fact that they are available sitting right there on the floor of the worlds biggest hardware chain stores. This doesn`t hurt. Their exposure is unsurpassed.

Hello

One of my neighbors purchased a 25-PDVC from Home Depot. It worked Just ok. So I showed him a nice thread on here about how to adjust it. Then gave him the free service number to call. England Stove works has excellent free support!!

The service tech went over the adjustments on the phone and he changed them for his installation and needs.

Now he could not be happier! The only problem is that the big box stores cannot help you once you get it home!

It is just that simple.

Don2222 said:
Hello

One of my neighbors purchased a 25-PDVC from Home Depot. It worked Just ok. So I showed him a nice thread on here about how to adjust it. Then gave him the free service number to call. England Stove works has excellent free support!!

The service tech went over the adjustments on the phone and he changed them for his installation and needs.

Now he could not be happier! The only problem is that the big box stores cannot help you once you get it home!

It is just that simple.

Common sense dictates that a lack of product support is a given when buying a pellet stove from a big box store. Their return policies are excellent but any savvy person would normally know up front that a pellet stove from Home Despot or Lowes isn`t going to come with the same level of service that a bona fide stove shop provides.
Anyone expecting knowledgeable service from them has to be a totally uniformed individual.

Gio said:
smwilliamson said:

And even if that 78% figure is correct the part most likely to need replacement or repair (PDVC,PDV models) would be an auger motor. They are available for as low as $59 and simple to replace .
If you consider the cost of a service call for any brand pellet stove conservatively at $75+ plus parts , the Englander makes good economical sense.
Easy to repair stoves and uncomparable over the phone (one on one) support has been key to their success.
And lets not forget that there are other contributing elements too such as their lower cost and the fact that they are available sitting right there on the floor of the worlds biggest hardware chain stores. This doesn`t hurt. Their exposure is unsurpassed.

Lower auger motor, you got it. $140 from Englander, cheaper on the net but you need 1 RPM counter clockwise rotation....we all know how to do that now don't we...?

Gio said:

From the website: PLEASE BE SURE OF YOUR ROTATION Rotation determined looking opposite auger drive shaft end, auger pointing away from you. NOTE for customers who ask...., it is possible to be mechanically reversed.
Please indicate the required rotation upon order. Looking opposite end (from the rear of the "gearbox") tell us Clockwise or Counter Clockwise.

Note that this is a multi-products auger motor. VERY CHEAP for a reason. This motor will have some issues under high torque. Stator shaft clip likes to come loose from the housing. It can be tapped back in but you have to hammer (flatten) the metal gearbox over the top of the clip.

Use this motor, much better. HM-RGM451 Auger motor (See V003 VonWeise / Fasco version, )(part number in Rotom catalog may state: R7-RGM451)

This IS a Merkle-Korff motor made for Rotom.

smwilliamson said:
Gio said:

From the website: PLEASE BE SURE OF YOUR ROTATION Rotation determined looking opposite auger drive shaft end, auger pointing away from you. NOTE for customers who ask...., it is possible to be mechanically reversed.
Please indicate the required rotation upon order. Looking opposite end (from the rear of the "gearbox") tell us Clockwise or Counter Clockwise.

Note that this is a multi-products auger motor. VERY CHEAP for a reason. This motor will have some issues under high torque. Stator shaft clip likes to come loose from the housing. It can be tapped back in but you have to hammer (flatten) the metal gearbox over the top of the clip.

Use this motor, much better. HM-RGM451 Auger motor (See V003 VonWeise / Fasco version, )(part number in Rotom catalog may state: R7-RGM451)

This IS a Merkle-Korff motor made for Rotom.

Just for the record, I bought one of these Multi-Products motors two years ago to replace my upper auger motor and haven't had any problems. So far so good!

This guy seems pretty happy too:

"after reading reviews on other sites that led me here i am fully impressed with this motor, bought 2 of them for my englander timber ridge pellet stove. they work great, i didn't specify direction and they both ran backwards but if you are inclined enough to change the motors then you can easily change their rotation by removing 4 screws that hold the motor windings and simply flip and re assemble. The best part is the motors are made in the U.S.A. Cost better than half of the factory part and they shipped my order which i placed late the same day through ups. CSH is the first place i'll be looking for any electric motors or fans in the future."

Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]

I bought one from CSH inc.. Cheap and the delivery was only 2 days with standard shipping. May not be the "Best" auger motor out there. But if you get 3-4 yrs out of one of these and only 5-6 yrs out of a model that costs $100. Then I would still buy the cheaper one from CSH.. My Englander is in my Shop, so it doesnt run a whole lot. Hoping it lasts around another decade. I love that Old Stove!! Classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.