Englander 13 Install a few days away and some last minute questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramcononer

Nov 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Call me crazy, but the install appears to be too easy in theory. (especially after hours of research on the web)

Ok, I have my damper out and it is wide enough to accomodate the 6" SS flex liner. I have a straight shot up/down the chimney with no obstructions.

Is it really as simple as feeding the liner down the chimney and attaching it to the stove?? I understand about installing a top plate, rain cap and damper block off but that is a few screws and cuts in some metal. Am I missing something?

Chimney is around 20', interior masonry chimney.

After the install, a few break in fires then good to go? Is all my research overcomplicating the process in my head maybe??

Final questions

I am planning on putting a stove top thermometer. Should I put on up on the chimney? where would I place this if the stove is going to be inside my fireplace opening? Not much room on the liner before the block off plate??

Thanks again

Only thing missing from your list of install steps is insulation for the liner. Is that happening?

Insulated liners probably help, but many of us don't have insulated liners, due to space constraints. I have the same sort of set up as you describe, but worse (as my chimney is on the exterior of the house) and my stove runs fine without insulation on the liner. If you go uninsulated, you might need to clean it a little more often than otherwise, but not a big deal.

And yes, I think the install is fairly easy. Just make sure all the connections are well-sealed against even tiny air leaks. And make sure you follow the stove manufacturer's instructions to the letter, if possible. A draft-inducing cap on the liner can also help.

And I have my thermometer just above the flue collar.

Good morning DELP!!!

You have been my mentor with this little project (as well as Fireant and a bunch of others). I cannot thank you enough for all the help and advice. I wish I could pay it back somehow. Been redoing my master bedroom so haven't started on the liner project.

As far as the insulation question, based on all my reading on hearth.com, it seems to be a debated subject. Some say interior, don't need to insulate, some say you should insulate. I am not sure what to do??

dave11 said:
Insulated liners probably help, but many of us don't have insulated liners, due to space constraints. I have the same sort of set up as you describe, but worse (as my chimney is on the exterior of the house) and my stove runs fine without insulation on the liner. If you go uninsulated, you might need to clean it a little more often than otherwise, but not a big deal.

And yes, I think the install is fairly easy. Just make sure all the connections are well-sealed against even tiny air leaks. And make sure you follow the stove manufacturer's instructions to the letter, if possible. A draft-inducing cap on the liner can also help.

And I have my thermometer just above the flue collar.

Thanks for your advice. I don't think I am going to insulate. I will put another thermometer right above the collar.

You made me think of another question. It looks like the linter attached to the appliance with a few screws. How do I seal that connection? Foil Tape?

Yes it is as easy as it seems. I insulated so that took some more time. Like people said above. Make sure everything is fitted and set right. Keep us posted on the install process. I just finished grouting my stone so I will have pics up soon. My 13 has updated living quarters!

FireAnt said:
Keep us posted on the install process. I just finished grouting my stone so I will have pics up soon. My 13 has updated living quarters!

I am usually very lazy to take photos, but I think I will document this install to hopefully help someone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.