Englander 13-NCH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the "extra" letters stand for in the OP's title.........13NCH??????? And in TMonters post; 13NCL???

I've only seen the 13NC listed as 13NC unless it was sold or advertised under the TimberRidge or SummersHeat names. Are these upgraded stoves or variants???

My Englander 13NC is the "real deal" IMHO. Heats my 1100ft. ranch without a basement with no problem!!! Haven't hit the furnace switch yet!!

The NC stands for non-cat, as in no catalytic converter.

For the OP: The Englander 13-NC and 30-NC (same stove design, the 30 is bigger/deeper) have secondary air injector burner tubes on the top of the firebox to burn the gasses and meet EPA requirements. Both are EPA approved and both are WA state approved (tougher laws for emissions there). I was going to get a 13 for my house here until I found a 30 for less $$ delivered here from a HD in VA this summer. Both are HUD approved with an OAK (outside air kit) if they are on a pedistal. That means you can put them into a trailer or manufactured home. The HD Englander stoves come with the pedistal attached, and a set of 'spare' legs if you want to convert the pedistal to the leggy model. They also come with a fan.

Pen; again; Thank you! I think we're going to go with the 13... seems to be the best option for us! Ok; so that being said; 4 peices of 1/2 inch thick cement board with tile on top on the floor... and the 1" of space between the wall and the cement board on the wall. Plus tile. I'll see if I can draw it and take a picture. Any suggestions on type of tile?

If you want to build up insulation value of the hearth with cement board, be sure to check its R rating. There is a big difference between the original cement board (Wonderboard, original Durock) at R=.26, Hardiboard at R=.20 and the newer Durock Next Gen at R=.39. To meet the hearth requirements for the 13NC you will need 5 layers of Durock Next Gen or 10 layers of Hardiboard!

There are other ways to achieve the required R=2.0. A 1/2" layer of Micore or Fiberfrax insulation board will give about an R= 1.1 boost. Make it your first layer, then put a couple more layers of Durock Next Gen on top. Or you could use metal studs to create an air space, then use a few layers of Durock Next Gen. 4" of brick (set on edge) on 3 layers of Durock Next Gen will also work.

Most any decent quality tile will work. I prefer a good porcelain tile, but there are some nice stone tiles out there too. Get creative and have fun.

Reactions: pen and PapaDave
Hey guys, I am chiming in late here but the post in this thread about the R rating required by the NCH got my attention. We are getting ready to install our Englander 13 NCH and have been quite frustrated in prepping the floor. In reading specs I keep coming up with a large R rating so I called the company and they confirmed an R rating of 4. It is very difficult for us to come up with a 4 partly because of our inexperience in building and also because we do not have micore available here. I see here that an R rating of 2 is discussed. Can you let me know how you arrived at that number?

Hey guys, I am chiming in late here but the post in this thread about the R rating required by the NCH got my attention. We are getting ready to install our Englander 13 NCH and have been quite frustrated in prepping the floor. In reading specs I keep coming up with a large R rating so I called the company and they confirmed an R rating of 4. It is very difficult for us to come up with a 4 partly because of our inexperience in building and also because we do not have micore available here. I see here that an R rating of 2 is discussed. Can you let me know how you arrived at that number?
thats what it says in manual for mine R2 floor protection

"Installation on a Combustible Floor
If the appliance is to be installed on a combustible floor or a combustible floor covering, it must be
installed on a 1” thick non-combustible millboard floor protector or a durable equivalent, with a “R”
factor of no less than “2.” The pad must be installed beneath the unit, extending 16” (U.S.) on the
side equipped with a door, and 8” on all other sides. The pad must cover any horizontal chimney
connector runs and extend 2” beyond each side."
http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC.pdf

not sure where the "4" r rating is coming from, the 13 series has always had an "R" requirement of 2.

Reactions: PapaDave and pen
The NC-13 is a excellent stove for both the size and price. As far as burn times I can go 4 to 10 hrs, just depends on the BTU's needed and the wood used. I can comfortablely let it run for 8 hrs, if I come home longer than 10ish hrs. I'll be dropping temperature in the house to around 68 ish in 15-20 degree weather.

As far as over firing it, because of it being a small stove. Keep a watch of it and respect it for what it is. And you'll enjoy it. Your ability to learn to control the air flow and adjust accordingly is the key. They are great little stoves.

Reactions: pen
not sure where the "4" r rating is coming from, the 13 series has always had an "R" requirement of 2.

Stoveguy, thanks for reply. Yes it is "2" r rating and am I ever glad!! I had initially thought so and somehow was convinced otherwise. Mind is a terrible thing to lose!! This will be much easier to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.