Englander 17-VL over firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I think the "problem" has been resolved and I must say I feel quite foolish for wasting everyone's time. The baffles were all in place and the air door linkage was all normal when I double checked it.

I got my magnetic probe back from my fried and set out to document a couple burns to show just what was happening. This took a while because it's a small super insulated house (that's nearing completion) and one burn goes a long ways. Anyway, I'd just finished up with logging the second burn and suddenly realized that the flue probe was nowhere close to 18" above the stove top, it was more like 8"!!

I reused the pipes from my old stove in my old house and mixed up the order. The piece with the probe in it used to be the second pipe up (so the probe was 18" high) but now it's the first pipe on the stove, which dropped it 10" lower. I couldn't believe I could overlook something so simple.

I've had a couple smaller burns since correcting my mistake and it seems to be reading about 200-300 degrees less at the correct height when the fire is hot. This would drop the 1300 degree stack I was worried about down to 1000 degrees, which I'm not so worried about.

I'm almost done wiping the egg off my face, then I'll go light another fire.

Thanks for all the help and advice. You guys were correct that something didn't seem right.

Oldspark: I'm in Estherville. And you?

Alan

Allan,

Thanks for the report.
Good to know you can burn safely now!

No need to feel foolish, its all a learning process.
I'd imagine that your post will help others in the future, when they search for answers about stack temps being too high.
Your post will give them another option to check.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.