Englander 17vl fire pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the look of the hearth . . . very unique.

Thanks Shadow&Flame; and firefighterjake. I'll have to post a few pice of the Lopi - i re-did that hearth as well with the same slate but a different shape.

I have loved the looks of that stove since day 1. Your installation does nothing but add to it's appeal. Wish I had a good use for one.

Is there enough stovetop on that puppy to cook? My sister has a small cabin on a creek near here. They use it in summer mostly, but if I could convince her to get one of those in there, it could be more of a year round thing maybe. If she could cook on it too, she might be sold.

These stoves have a double top that creates a convection chamber that the blower passes the air through. The top surface gets hot enough to warm things, but I don't think it's hot enough to actually really cook on.

I'm loving this little stove though. Had several fires to take the chill off, and now that the weather is raining and getting pretty chilly at night I've tried a couple simultaneous fires with both the 17vl and the Lopi going and they make the house really warm. I'm thinking January and February will be even more enjoyable this winter.

jeeper said:
These stoves have a double top that creates a convection chamber that the blower passes the air through. The top surface gets hot enough to warm things, but I don't think it's hot enough to actually really cook on.

I'm loving this little stove though. Had several fires to take the chill off, and now that the weather is raining and getting pretty chilly at night I've tried a couple simultaneous fires with both the 17vl and the Lopi going and they make the house really warm. I'm thinking January and February will be even more enjoyable this winter.

Well according to Englander, stove temps (as measured on the top of the stove at the front to the left or right of the door with a magnetic thermometer) should be 350-550F for normal operation with 600F being ok for short lengths of time and 650F being an overfire. I'd say that's plenty hot for cooking.

Looks great. I absolutely love seeing things I've designed installed and working beautifully. I hope you have many years of heat and enjoyment from that stove. It looks awesome in your house!

-Corie

SmokingAndPoking said:
Looks great. I absolutely love seeing things I've designed installed and working beautifully. I hope you have many years of heat and enjoyment from that stove. It looks awesome in your house!

-Corie

Corie, are the secondary burn tubes the same front and back? Someone at some point mentioned they were different but I had mine out yesterday and they look the same. Then I checked the manual and they have the same part number, but online they are listed as two separate parts numbers.

Check the manual again. The online copy I just looked at lists them as two different part numbers, which match the part numbers on the Englander website. I can't completely remember, but there may be a slight difference in hole diameter between the front and the rear. (The rear holes might be 5/32" and the fronts 3/16") If there is a difference in hole diameter, the tube with the smallest holes belongs in the back. Sorry I don't completely remember, its been a few years (and three stoves) since I designed that one.

SmokingAndPoking said:
Check the manual again. The online copy I just looked at lists them as two different part numbers, which match the part numbers on the Englander website. I can't completely remember, but there may be a slight difference in hole diameter between the front and the rear. (The rear holes might be 5/32" and the fronts 3/16") If there is a difference in hole diameter, the tube with the smallest holes belongs in the back. Sorry I don't completely remember, its been a few years (and three stoves) since I designed that one.

The online parts listing lists it as two different part numbers, well, the same number but with "F" or "R" at the end. Same exact price. I emailed Englander and they said it's the same part. The holes appear to be the same size, but a difference of 1/32 is pretty slim margin. I'll check by seeing what size drill bit fits in the holes and see if it's right or not.

Then again, the folks at Englander had also emailed me saying I could connect my stove pipe adapter to the top of the 17-VL with Silicone, rtv3 to be precise - so I'm not sure how much I trust them.

**edit**
Also, sure enough the online manual does list them as two different parts. In the manual that came with my stove they are both listed as "13" and in line on the chart next to 13 it says per unit "2".

I asked if they were sure since there are two different part numbers, they got back to me again

"sorry, i was told wrong. the tube with the bigger holes goes in the rear."

But you had said that the tube with the smaller holes goes in the rear...ugh. I guess I'll just leave it alone and hope I put them in right.

**edit**
I continued these questions about secondary tubes on it's own thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81445/

Status
Not open for further replies.