Englander 24 series cat stove- still a decent unit by today's standards?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I've been looking to upgrade my stove. I heat my whole house with my stove in the basement. I'd love to buy a BK Princess, but it's not in the budget. Most responses I've gotten have stated for the long burns I'm looking for, I need a catalytic stove. I found one on craigslist, it is a model 24-ACD/50SHW/24/50TRW24. The cat has been removed, but I would install a new one if I buy it. Hopefully all the mounting hardware is still there. I realize this is an older stove, but would this be an improvement over my Century stove? How much were they new, he wants $650. That seems ridiculous for an old stove with the cat missing. Any thoughts.

Has nobody ever used one of these stoves? All the advise I've been getting has pointed me toward a cat stove, is this too old of a cat stove to fit the bill?

I don't know anything about that stove, but $650 does seem like a lot if it is very old. Figure you are going to pay 120 or so for the cat that brings you up to $770 and I'll bet you won't be getting the tax rebate.. so if you were to look at a "rebate budget" that would be the same as spending $1,100 pre-rebate on a new rebate eligible stove. Hmm... sort of does make you wonder if a new stove with warranty and all would be worth it doesn't it although I don't know what the least expensive good quality cat stove is.

Of course with this sort of thinking you can end up spending a lot more than you planned.. Hmm.. only a few more $'s and I can do this, a couple more and this.. next thing you know you wonder just how you justified that 10K purchase :)

I'll say it again, only because I love my stove. Find a dealer for Enerzone and look at the 3.4 model. I get 10-12 hour burn times easily, it retails for about 2K with the blower, is non cat and your looking at a net of $1400 after the rebate. New stove, new warranty (lifetime on the glass and secondary burn tubes) and the chance to purchase it thru a retailer.

You don't think the Enerzone 3.4 will cook me out of my basement? It looks huge.

Check out this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42848/
Some info from the stove's manufacturer there.

bjorn773 said:
I've been looking to upgrade my stove. I heat my whole house with my stove in the basement. I'd love to buy a BK Princess, but it's not in the budget. Most responses I've gotten have stated for the long burns I'm looking for, I need a catalytic stove. I found one on craigslist, it is a model 24-ACD/50SHW/24/50TRW24. The cat has been removed, but I would install a new one if I buy it. Hopefully all the mounting hardware is still there. I realize this is an older stove, but would this be an improvement over my Century stove? How much were they new, he wants $650. That seems ridiculous for an old stove with the cat missing. Any thoughts.

bjorn773 said:
You don't think the Enerzone 3.4 will cook me out of my basement? It looks huge.

Yeah, that stove may cook the basement, if you want it to. I am currently using it to heat a 1500 SF ranch. It's in a sun room we dont use during the winter. That room is 80 degrees but it keeps the rest of the house warm. Now, I'm in the business, and I sell these stoves, so I wanted to see what it could do. Thats why I took one home to play with. The good thing is, in the mild weather when I do want to use that room, I just throw a couple of logs in there and burn it on low with the fan off. Your looking for enough convection heat to move up stairs, make up for the basement walls sucking some heat out and looking for a long burn. I just love that stove. It's a great value

3fordasho said:
Check out this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42848/
Some info from the stove's manufacturer there.

bjorn773 said:

Thanks, I've already read that post... it's mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.