Englander 25-PDV Hopper Feeding Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have seen many reviews of the Englander stove and I am filtering the fact and fiction. I am finding these stoves are extremely rugged and very good heaters for a nice affordable price. Another issue I came across was how many pellets did not go down the auger chute. This I call hopper efficiency. I heard a half of a bag of pellets were left not burned. Well that was way off in my test. Here are the pics to prove it. I did find that the RTV adhesive in the 4 corner joints of the hopper sheet metal. This can be easily modified with high temperature foil in the corners. Just before the opening to the horizontal auger chute is a lip or cliff that does back up small amounts of pellets.See last pic.

I did spray the hopper with Graphite Spray before taking these pics.
So, Has anyone done anymore to enhance this process of getting the pellets over the overhang or cliff?

Also has anyone closed down the blocking plate to limit the pellets falling into the auger chute? See 1st pic

Attachments

• Englader25-PDVemptyHopper.jpg
    Englader25-PDVemptyHopper.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Englader25-PDVhopperFeeding1.jpg
    Englader25-PDVhopperFeeding1.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 246
  • Englader25-PDVhopperFeeding2.jpg
    Englader25-PDVhopperFeeding2.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Englader25-PDVhopperFeedingEnd.jpg
    Englader25-PDVhopperFeedingEnd.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 245
Don, before modifying the position of the block-off plate, consult Englander tech (Mike). IIRC, these are factory set and only should be changed after consulting them.

If the stove is burning well, I'd leave well enough alone. Just push the pellets so they're directly over the opening....I do this 2-3 times a day when I'm home.

Don, before modifying the position of the block-off plate, consult Englander tech (Mike). IIRC, these are factory set and only should be changed after consulting them.

If the stove is burning well, I'd leave well enough alone. Just push the pellets so they're directly over the opening....I do this 2-3 times a day when I'm home.

Thanks Pete for the info.
I was not sure if it was made to be user adjustable.

The stove is burning well, although it could be lower on the heat fan setting of 1 - 1 so I was wondering if closing it down would put out any less heat without the fire going out?

...... I was wondering if closing it down would put out any less heat without the fire going out?

What do you have the lower 3 buttons set at? Maybe try lowering the LBA and LFF 1 notch each, if possible.

What do you have the lower 3 buttons set at? Maybe try lowering the LBA and LFF 1 notch each, if possible.

Yes, that is a good idea. I have it at the factory default for the model and MFD of 5-9-1.

The quadrafires have a user adjustable blocking plate that is why I was thinking of that.Quad states the purpose is to lower the flame height for pellets that burn hotter.

The LFF is also a good way to lower the heat on setting 1.
The difference is the LFF shortens the top auger duration and the blocking plate limits the number of pellets for each turn of the top auger.

It is good to be able to adjust both. I may experiment with both. Thanks

Hello Imacman

Well I tried lowering the LFF from the default of 5 to 3 so I have 3 - 9 - 1
The outside temp is 43.7 Deg F and damp and rainy. Inside the shed the temp seems to be holding steady at 74.8 Deg F with the shed window open almost half way. The middle heat tube measures 102 Deg F so the shed is real cozy. Intgeresingly if the stove was working correctly like it is now the 2 - 9 - 4 setting I found it at would probably work ok. :)

See pics

Attachments

• 3ButtonSetting (1).jpg
    3ButtonSetting (1).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 3ButtonSetting (2).jpg
    3ButtonSetting (2).jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 3ButtonSetting (3).jpg
    3ButtonSetting (3).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 161
I suggest lowering the LBA also....maybe try 3-6-1. The slower the air goes through the stove, the more heat will be removed into the room by the exchanger. Just watch that your flame stays lively. Make small adjustments to the button settings.

I suggest lowering the LBA also....maybe try 3-6-1. The slower the air goes through the stove, the more heat will be removed into the room by the exchanger. Just watch that your flame stays lively. Make small adjustments to the button settings.

Hi Pete
I am trying to make the stove run cooler?

Hi Pete
I am trying to make the stove run cooler?

Oh yeah...I forgot....LOL. Well then keep the LBA up high, and keep lowering the LFF. In this case, you might try closing that hopper block off plate slightly.....maybe 1/4".

Oh yeah...I forgot....LOL. Well then keep the LBA up high, and keep lowering the LFF. In this case, you might try closing that hopper block off plate slightly.....maybe 1/4".

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Thanks Pete!

Status
Not open for further replies.