Englander 25-pdv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grh372

Jan 5, 2015
western mass
looking to see if anyone can confirm the btu output on this stove. englander site didn't say what it was. A few sites say 24,500. And I've also seen a few places mention 42,000 btu. I'm looking to upgrade and the stove I was looking at was 40,000 btu. Don't want to get another stove and it has the same heat output.

25-PDVheatoutput_zps8525854e.jpg.html

Apparently there are two ratings. See the image attached
"The maximum output for this appliance was calculated in our test facility using 'real world' calculations. The heat out put reported on the baslck and white EPA tag affixed to this appliance is a value that was derived using test fuel load that does not reflect the unit's actual maximum capacity."
EPA tag heat output = 10,700 - 24,500 BTU/Hr
Facility Test results = 45,000 BTU/Hr

Attachments

• 25-PDV heat output.jpg
    25-PDV heat output.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 189
Have to watch which is input BTU's and the Output BTU's
avg BTU ratings on pellets are around 8500 a pound That would be your input
multiply by the combustion eff. of the unit (Mike would know that at Englander) my guess would be 92-96% range
Then mulitiply that by heat transfer eff. (again Mike) I won't even attempt to guesstimate that.
That would get a true BTU output for you.
Be careful reading sales and EPA hang tags usually go off feed rates in pounds x 8500 avg BTU in pellets then the units actual eff. rating for both combustion and heat transfer. This way I find gives you a more acurate a number. IMHO anyways

EDIT: for my poor typing skills

25-PDVheatoutput_zps8525854e.jpg.html

Apparently there are two ratings. See the image attached
"The maximum output for this appliance was calculated in our test facility using 'real world' calculations. The heat out put reported on the baslck and white EPA tag affixed to this appliance is a value that was derived using test fuel load that does not reflect the unit's actual maximum capacity."
EPA tag heat output = 10,700 - 24,500 BTU/Hr
Facility Test results = 45,000 BTU/Hr
That's a huge jump From what they claim huh. I'm looking at a used ST.CROIX. It's says it's rated at 40,000btu. But I wonder if it's stronger then my current stove.

On max heat setting that stove feeds in 5.1 lbs per hour if memory serves me right.

Lets say 1 pound of pellets is = to 7500BTU.

1 x 7500 = 7500 BTU per hour minus 10% for lost heat = 6750 BTU's per hour.

5.1 x 7500 = 38250 BTU per hour minus 10% for lost heat = 34425 BTU's per hour.

This should give you some idea on the max heat output in BTU's +/- 10 - 15% based on the pellets that you are feeding the stove.

Some heat is lost in the exhaust, so a stove will never be more than 88% efficient, most stoves are between 72% and 86% efficient. Some stoves from Europe claim to be 92% or higher, I have yet to see a stove from Europe and play with one, so I can not comment on them.

Edit: For the 25-PDV to produce 45,000 BTU, it would need to feed more than 6 lbs of pellets per hour on it's max setting.

Last edited:
On max heat setting that stove feeds in 5.1 lbs per hour if memory serves me right.

Lets say 1 pound of pellets is = to 7500BTU.

1 x 7500 = 7500 BTU per hour minus 10% for lost heat = 6750 BTU's per hour.

5.1 x 7500 = 38250 BTU per hour minus 10% for lost heat = 34425 BTU's per hour.

This should give you some idea on the max heat output in BTU's +/- 10 - 15% based on the pellets that you are feeding the stove.

Some heat is lost in the exhaust, so a stove will never be more than 88% efficient, most stoves are between 72% and 86% efficient. Some stoves from Europe claim to be 92% or higher, I have yet to see a stove from Europe and play with one, so I can not comment on them.

Edit: For the 25-PDV to produce 45,000 BTU, it would need to feed more than 6 lbs of pellets per hour on it's max setting.

Thanks for the breakdown. It now makes perfect sense. You always have a great way of explaining things in easy to understand terms. I have the stove set on "C". It's a 2008 model. Burning okanagan pellets in it. I was using a cubex pellet. The softwood seems to burn better and more thorough. What should the bottom 3 be set at? I find most heat output is set at 991 and the upper two set at 9 and 9. It ends up looking like a wood stove but sure throws heat.

I am not sure of the defaults for the bottom 3 settings for that stove / year. You will need to ask Mike @ ESW for that info.

If you have the LFF and LBA both at 9, you are over feeding that stove on it's lower settings and it will burn too much fuel, it might also produce a lot of black soot that will stick to the inside of the stove and all over the glass.

At a guess, and this is only a guess ...... LFF = 4 LBA = 6 AOT = 1 ..... and as I say, this is only a guess for that year of stove.

I have an 08 and ESW told me the defaults were 6-4-1. It is also worth noting that they told me the default operating mode is d, not c which is what I commonly see on the forums :). If you really want to be sure just give em a call, I've always found ESW support quite helpful.

Reactions: Owen1508
I am not sure of the defaults for the bottom 3 settings for that stove / year. You will need to ask Mike @ ESW for that info.

If you have the LFF and LBA both at 9, you are over feeding that stove on it's lower settings and it will burn too much fuel, it might also produce a lot of black soot that will stick to the inside of the stove and all over the glass.

At a guess, and this is only a guess ...... LFF = 4 LBA = 6 AOT = 1 ..... and as I say, this is only a guess for that year of stove.

For 2 auger stoves, the bottom 3 buttons only effect heat settings 1 and 2. For single auger stoves, the lower 3 buttons effect the entire hear range.

Status
Not open for further replies.