Englander 25-PDVC help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmie

Nov 5, 2009
south east, TN.
I have an Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10..

I think I'm burning way to many pellets..Full hopper in about 7 to 8 hrs. I have the settings on LFF 2 LBA 6 AOT 1 ....top 2 settings I have it set at feed rate 2 and blower at 9. Stove is hooked up to a thermostat.. Can you help me out on this ? Other than burning a lot of pellets, the stove work's great.. I'm new at this so any help will be appreciated..Thanks for any help, Don.

Welcome to the forum Zimmie. I'm sure there will be fellow 25-PDVC owners chiming in to give their suggestions. You can also call Englanders Tech line and speak with them...they are a good bunch.

The head Tech Rep there is Mike Holton, who's a regular on this forum. You could try emailing him at his work address, and running the problem by him too:

[email protected]

Make sure you have the manufacturing date and serial number handy when you contact him or the regular tech 800 number.

Just went thru the same issue with a Timber Ridge 55rtp22 which is the same stove. Techies @ Englander had me set @ 6 -4-1. Runs fantastic now, getting 18-20 hrs on a bag of Premium softwoods withe the setting of 3 on heat and 7 on fan. My stove was manufactured Oct 08. Seems the manufacture date has some bearing on which settings s/b used. Tech support @ Englander is first rate. Give em' a call.

I sent Mike Holton an e-mail with all the info. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm burning LIGNETICS hard wood pellets, I guess they are good ? Hard to find pellets here in south east TN. Not many people here know what a pellet stove is.. Thanks for the help, Zimmie.

zimmie said:
I sent Mike Holton an e-mail with all the info. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm burning LIGNETICS hard wood pellets, I guess they are good ? Hard to find pellets here in south east TN. Not many people here know what a pellet stove is.. Thanks for the help, Zimmie.

Give Mike a little time to respond...this is their busiest time of the whole year...lots of new stoves getting sold.

The Lignetics hardwood are very good pellets. Mind telling us what you paid for them?

$300.00 a ton. Just bought a ton. Not real cold here in the winter, just the nites.. I lived in upstate New York where it gets cold. The Mohawk valley. I bought the stove from a guy in N.C. only a year old. Thought I would give it a shot. Didn't figure pellets would be a problem getting. Bought the stove then went looking for pellets. Only 2 places sold them. $375.00 a ton and $300.00 a ton..

zimmie said:
$300.00 a ton. Just bought a ton. Not real cold here in the winter, just the nites.. I lived in upstate New York where it gets cold. The Mohawk valley. I bought the stove from a guy in N.C. only a year old. Thought I would give it a shot. Didn't figure pellets would be a problem getting. Bought the stove then went looking for pellets. Only 2 places sold them. $375.00 a ton and $300.00 a ton..

Thats about the same price we pay for them here in Ontario Canada, and we make them here. Hard to figure out..........................

Mt money's on the bottom three buttons. A couple years ago my PDVC was dumping pellets into the burnpot so fast they couldn't be burned completely, just charring them. I, or my son, must have hit them by mistake. Call tech support with the phone near your stove and they will walk you thru it.

well mine was manufactured in 07, I bought it refurbished but the setting were at 6-4-1 when I got it and that was how I ran it all of last year with the same problem as you, going thru a full hopper in 7 -8 hrs. just to state the low low feed and air buttons are only effected when on heat settings 1 or 2. I have since changed the settings to 4-4-1 and a hopper will now last about 16 hrs??? I also closed the plate in the bottom of the storage hopper. Let your hopper run dry and you will see a plate that is moveable back and forth restricting the amount of pellets that can drop into the first auger tray. I would think however if you had big pellets you would want it open a bit but if the pellets are small, closed as far as it goes may slow down the feed rate. I generally run my stove with the fan setting one # higher than the heat setting, but I don't think that would really effect the feed rate. Since you state that you already have it set at a feed rate of 2, I'm kinda surprised you are still burning through pellets like you are?? Mine is not hooked up to a thermostat either, do you notice the stove running non stop or is it on and off? Id try moving the plate in the hopper and running at say heat 2 fan 3 and see what happens, sorry I couldn't be of much help, I'm sure mike will get to you as soon as possible.

rottiman said:
Just went thru the same issue with a Timber Ridge 55rtp22 which is the same stove. Techies @ Englander had me set @ 6 -4-1. Runs fantastic now, getting 18-20 hrs on a bag of Premium softwoods withe the setting of 3 on heat and 7 on fan. My stove was manufactured Oct 08. Seems the manufacture date has some bearing on which settings s/b used. Tech support @ Englander is first rate. Give em' a call.
those bottom numbers 6-4-1 don't come into play when your on a heat range 3 and above.

My stove was manufactured in 11/07. I did close the plate in the bottom of the hopper. As for the thermostat , I don't see a big difference. I was thinking of uninstalling it and twisting the wires together. I'll try setting mine the same as yours 4-4-1 and heat at 2 fan at 3. Don't be sorry, any help is appreciated. Thanks for all the help, Zimmie.

Right now not that cold.

Top buttons 1-2

Bottom buttons 5-5-1

changed the settings to 4-4-1.... heat 2 fan 3......filled up the hopper. Fired it up ran about 7 1/2 hrs. hopper empty ? I'm lost !!!! I watched it for a while flames do go up and down as the pellets feed in to the fire box. I'm going to drop it down to heat 1 and fan on 2 and see what happens..if anyone has any ideas please let me know.. Thanks, Zimmie

zimmie said:
changed the settings to 4-4-1.... heat 2 fan 3......filled up the hopper. Fired it up ran about 7 1/2 hrs. hopper empty ? I'm lost !!!! I watched it for a while flames do go up and down as the pellets feed in to the fire box. I'm going to drop it down to heat 1 and fan on 2 and see what happens..if anyone has any ideas please let me know.. Thanks, Zimmie

Have you heard back from Mike Holton? If not, at this point I'd call the 800 number and talk to one of his techs.

sent reply to e mail from my shop , did not get a chance to check mail again today as call center was hopping as i was short some techs flu bug sneaking around the shop. anyway one question for zimmie...

what does the cycle time look like on the top auger? set where you have it you should be 1 second on 15 seconds off on cycle, is that what the auger is doing?

How do I check the top auger rotation. I can't see it ? Are you saying it turns for 1 second every 15 seconds ? If that's what your telling me, it sounds like mine is turning for 10 seconds or more. But I will check it later today. How do I fix that ? I did e-mail you my phone number. We may have to talk. I'm getting confused on all the different settings for the bottom 3 settings.

Zimmie, don't worry about the bottom 3 buttons for now....Mike saw that you had it set at 4-4-1. As for checking the auger timing, can you hear it when it runs? Obviously a 1 second on time will be pretty easy to tell. If it's running more than that, that should be easy to tell too......could be a control board issue?

Get those reading to Mike by email, PM, or post here...

macman said:
Zimmie, don't worry about the bottom 3 buttons for now....Mike saw that you had it set at 4-4-1. As for checking the auger timing, can you hear it when it runs? Obviously a 1 second on time will be pretty easy to tell. If it's running more than that, that should be easy to tell too......could be a control board issue?

Get those reading to Mike by email, PM, or post here...

If you have the back of the stove off, you can tell if and for how long the upper auger is running by placing your finger on the end of the auger motor.

load a small charge of fuel in the hopper enough to get out of startup but not much more , maybe 2 or 3 pounds, add alittle as you go if necessary , now i know the book says not to have the hopper open while the stove is running , you can open it to observe the auger and add fuel and such, you should never leave the stove unattended with the hoper open however. so ,adding enough fuel to get the stove out of startup and look at the cycle after the unit leaves startup. or like suggested if you can pick out the motor noise from the auger cycling that would do as well.

stoveguy2esw said:
....now i know the book says not to have the hopper open while the stove is running , you can open it to observe the auger and add fuel and such....
Mike, the 25PDVC doesn't have a lid switch?

I cleaned out the ash from stove, filled hopper and set it 4-4-1 with feed at 1 blower at 2 and let it burn 2 hours. Everything worked great. I could here the auger run a few seconds and then stop .Pellets feeding in slow. Shut it down, and when I restarted it about 8 hours later, with out doing anything but hitting the start button. I'm back to burning a lot of pellets. 4 hours half the hopper is empty.. I'll empty the hopper and do what you said Mike. (feed it by hand and time it ) I'll let you know what happens..Thanks for the help, Zimmie.

macman said:
stoveguy2esw said:
....now i know the book says not to have the hopper open while the stove is running , you can open it to observe the auger and add fuel and such....
Mike, the 25PDVC doesn't have a lid switch?

No lid switch on my PDVC manufactured in '05.

Status
Not open for further replies.