Englander 25-pdvc noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjaxson

Feb 24, 2014
Alaska
pellet stove newbie.
have had my stove 3 days, getting pinging sound going up the chimmey. and the window is getting black from soot. my bottom 3 buttons are set at 6-4-1 the top 2 are set at 4-4.

it doesnt seem to put out as much heat as my old wood stove. plus it seems to just eat pellets like they were pez.

how can i make this more efficient. thanks in advance.

If it's a brand new pipe, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Could just be the metal expanding? I'm sure your wood stove pipe used to ping with a hot fire.

Hopefully, you have the appropriate exhaust venting for a pellet stove .... smoke detector, CO detector and surge protector for the stove?
To get more heat and keep a cooler exhaust vent, set the convection blower to a higher setting than the feed rate (upper controls you have set at 4-4). Higher air movement will draw more heat from the heat exchangers... An OAK (outside air kit) makes the stove burn more efficiently too.
Welcome to the forum! We like pics of stoves!

i do have an outside air kit. so set my upper controls to ? instead of 4-4 maybe a 4 feed rate and 6/7 blower?

From what I recall that is what many with the Englander stoves do. You can try a search with the stove model and see a lot of previous discussions on both upper and lower settings - just don't change the 1 on the lower setting. Good luck and enjoy the heat!

pellet stove newbie.
have had my stove 3 days, getting pinging sound going up the chimmey. and the window is getting black from soot. my bottom 3 buttons are set at 6-4-1 the top 2 are set at 4-4.

it doesnt seem to put out as much heat as my old wood stove. plus it seems to just eat pellets like they were pez.

how can i make this more efficient. thanks in advance.
I have the same stove as you. The glass does get dirty with use. Windex and paper towel. How much have you burned it before cleaning out the burn pot? I clean out the burn pot scrape around the auger and usually clean glass(make sure it's not hot) once a day. 6-4-1 is factory settings. Lake girl is right about the 1. I play with the others when the days get warmer. You should burn about a bag a day maybe more if it's cold. The top controls seem to work best when they are matched. The heat output will not match a wood stove. I never had ants creep out of my pellet bags and it has a longer more consistent burn than wood stoves. When you play with your settings watch the starting process and make sure it's burning ok. Lazy fires are bad. Finally the Pez. I like eating them too. Makes me feel young

Welcome.

As for heat, it also all depends on the brand of pellets your burning, some burn hotter than others at lower heat settings.

As for the black window, yes, it's a common problem with this stove and it's big brother (this is one of the reasons why I made a new burn pot chamber for mine).

Let us know what brand / name of pellets your burning. Also tell us about the area your trying to heat (size of house for example in feet).

Welcome.

As for heat, it also all depends on the brand of pellets your burning, some burn hotter than others at lower heat settings.

As for the black window, yes, it's a common problem with this stove and it's big brother (this is one of the reasons why I made a new burn pot chamber for mine).

Let us know what brand / name of pellets your burning. Also tell us about the area your trying to heat (size of house for example in feet).
What's up with the modded pot?

being in the middle of nowhere alaska i had to get home depot pellets...Blazer ''premium'' low moisture less the 8%. house is single story 1400 sqft. stove is in the middle of the house. 16'' of insulation in the attic.

being in the middle of nowhere alaska i had to get home depot pellets...Blazer ''premium'' low moisture less the 8%. house is single story 1400 sqft. stove is in the middle of the house. 16'' of insulation in the attic.
How warm is it keeping the area it is installed in?

What's the temp outside ? Inside?

within 10' its 71* then drops off dramatically. new storm windows that have plastic over them. living room and master bedroom are at 62*

within 10' its 71* then drops off dramatically. new storm windows that have plastic over them. living room and master bedroom are at 62*
Do you have any ceiling fans to help with circulation? How high are the ceilings? What's the temp outdoors??

how far opened or closed should that plate be adjusted in the bottom of the hopper?
That depends on the size of the pellets, long pellets need a bigger hole to drop through.

i closed it as far as i could....now i have the top 2 setting at 2/3 for the pellet feed and 7/9 for the blower speed. temp now in house is around 6* warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.