Englander 25 pdvc room blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA
This question is mostly directed at Mike Holton, but other opinions are appreciated. My Englander 25 PDVC has a build date of 6/2008. It is in it's 2nd season of burning, and has burned thru 6 tons so far, last year and this year. I thoroughly (behind impingement plate, etc) clean out the stove every Sunday, and give the pipe vent a sweeping after every ton. My question has nothing to do with the burn. I feel I have mastered getting the most heat from the stove at max efficiency and have no complaints about that. Lately it seems as if the room blower has 2 speeds. 1 and 2 are essentially the same speed. There is a huge difference switching from 2-3, but then going from 3 thru 9, the change in air volume is negligible. I recall a very distinct and noticeable change going from one room blower setting to another last year. Does this indicate a room blower problem, or a circuitry problem in the computer panel? Yes, the room blower has been cleaned.

more likley in the blower than in the circuit board does the blower "free wheel" when spun by hand? or do you know? if the bearings are a bit stiff then maybe the response rom varied voltage would manifest in that way. other than that im not real sure

Can that blower motor be oiled, some motors can, some can't. If the motor needs oil it can manifest itself in several ways. For example blow air or not blow air, or seem to have few actual speeds.

The motor is responding to at least two different issues one is the lack of lubrication and the second is metal expansion due to increased heat because the blower isn't turning fast enough to move the stoves heat out. If it reaches the point where the motor gets overheated it will thermal off with an over fired error likely to follow.

I'll checlk on the room blower when I have the stove shut down tomorrow... i'll repost tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.