Englander 25 PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I am back. Figured time to start a new thread, new problem.
Alright after all of yesterdays fiasco/ problems. I finally got the stove put back together and it seems/ looks to be running really well. Has nice flame coming from the burn pot. But it is not keeping the house warm. I can now feel warm air coming from the blower vent in the front. But last week with this thing on the lowest setting would run you out of the room at 75 -80 and keep the whole house comfy.
So, I have been up all night and morning messing with this thing and this is were it stands. Bottom 3 controls are set back to factory specs 6/1/1 and the heat/ blower at 7/9.
My furnace t stat in the next room says it is 68 and my son is laying on the couch with a blanket wrapped around him. LOL The house t stat is maybe 10 - 12' away.

So why am I not getting the heat from this like I was to start when everything was clogged up and dirty?

Hang on... somebody will come to the rescue!!!!

Ed S said:
Yeah, I am back. Figured time to start a new thread, new problem.
Alright after all of yesterdays fiasco/ problems. I finally got the stove put back together and it seems/ looks to be running really well. Has nice flame coming from the burn pot. But it is not keeping the house warm. I can now feel warm air coming from the blower vent in the front. But last week with this thing on the lowest setting would run you out of the room at 75 -80 and keep the whole house comfy.
So, I have been up all night and morning messing with this thing and this is were it stands. Bottom 3 controls are set back to factory specs 6/1/1 and the heat/ blower at 7/9.
My furnace t stat in the next room says it is 68 and my son is laying on the couch with a blanket wrapped around him. LOL The house t stat is maybe 10 - 12' away.

So why am I not getting the heat from this like I was to start when everything was clogged up and dirty?

As far as I know the factory spec is not 6-1-1.

Is your impingement plate in the stove properly?

Are you burning the same pellet brand or are you still monkeying around with the Walmart stuff.

Is the outside temperature and wind condition the same as they were when you were being roasted?

You need to understand that it is possible to have a very good looking flame and everything else just right and just be sending the heat up the flue. Stop and think a minute about what you are doing.

You put a 40 pound bag of pellets into a hopper that will be fed to the fire pot by volume not weight, this means that if pellet a is less dense than pellet b at the same feed setting you'll get less fuel into the burn pot per unit of time and that means less heat for the heat exchanger and for the convection blower to send into the room.

Now if you do a bit more thinking about the whole combustion process you should realize that some of that heat is going up the flue, so you need to make certain you aren't providing so much combustion air that you are helping the heat out of the stove via the flue.

So why don't you describe your very good looking flame?

While you are at it describe your house as to how tight it is, presence of any other air suckers, etc ...

You are preforming a balancing act where there are far more variables than just the stove settings.

lfa setting is really low at 1 my 09 models stock settings are 6-4-1.i run it at 6-6-1 to get a better burn on lower settings.3-9 on the feed control are controlled by the stoves factory settings. only 1-2 are tuneable by the bottom 3 buttons.hope this helps.rmw

The flame in the burn pot is about 4 - 6" tall orange to yellow in color and has been staying that way most of the morning. But it is not a flickering flame. It looks like to much air is trying to be pushed through it and making it dance.
Last night after relighting I was getting roaring flame for 5 - 6 minutes and then a smolder for 10 minutes and then roar, back and forth.
Not sure how to get the dancing flame to stop. But I know I do not want a roaring flame either.

Last couple of nights the temp has been 25/30.

Ed,

Please verify that default setting with Mike Holton via PM he is stoveguy2esw on the forum, he'll need the model and serial number of the stove.

You can PM him using this link https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/thr/messages/pm/1590/

There are several burn modes that that stove's controller can operate with, but you should also verify that you are running in the correct mode.

Ask Mike to verify the burn mode setting and how to reset the controller to factory default.

Ed S said:
Sorry when I talked with Jason one of the phone techs at Englander, he was the one that told me the specs were 6/1/1. That is even what is written in my owners manual.

The factory settings are 6-4-1 but I don`t believe that is written anywhere in the owners manual.
6-1-1 tells me you are not getting enough low burn air (on low heat range settings) but anything above heat range #1 and #2 are automatically controlled by the board anyway.

Complete control board reset is as follows:

1. Turn off stove
2. unplug, and then plug back in.
3. within 5 seconds of plugging the unit back in, press ALL 3 bottom buttons together......display should go to "F 5", then should turn off after a few more seconds.
4. reset bottom buttons (in this case, I think the 6-4-1 is correct)
5. let all lights go out, and restart stove.

Gio said:
The factory settings are 6-4-1 but I don`t believe that is written anywhere in the owners manual.
6-1-1 tells me you are not getting enough low burn air (on low heat range settings) but anything above heat range #1 and #2 are automatically controlled by the board anyway.

Gio, that is what someone had written in the owners manual next to the display of the control board (previous owner, I am guessing).

imacman said:
Complete control board reset is as follows:

1. Turn off stove
2. unplug, and then plug back in.
3. within 5 seconds of plugging the unit back in, press ALL 3 bottom buttons together......display should go to "F 5", then should turn off after a few more seconds.
4. reset bottom buttons (in this case, I think the 6-4-1 is correct)
5. let all lights go out, and restart stove.

imac

That is what Jason (Englander phone tech) and I tried last week when I called them. It does not do anything, we tried the method above and even tried to hold the buttons in while plugging the stove back into the outlet. Neither has worked, tried it numerous Xs.

Right now the control board is set as follows 4/4/1 and 5/8 and it is kicking butt like it did the 1st couple of days. It keeping the downstairs 78 - 80* and I have a fan at the bottom and top of the stairs to force the hot air around to the bed rooms.

If you tried it while talking to jason, and it didn't work, I'd give one last call to them and ask to speak to Mike Holton....if you still can't get it to reset while he helps out, it may be a bad board.

Yeah Jason didn't want to give a bad diagnoses over the phone when a new board is $230. So, he said give it some time and see what happens. Reason I called them about the board 1st time was I could not turn the unit off using the button. I had to let it run out of pellets. But the senior tech he talked to said it maybe just a stuck spring and to run my finger across the buttons a couple of times and see if it freed it up and it did. All the controls work, when I adjust the auger and fan speed they do what they are supposed to. Just the board it self does not do a manual reset.

*UPDATE*
After going through the stove again yesterday and making some adjustments. With the settings at 4/4/1 and 4/7 at 10 pm it was 78 and at 6 am it was 73 and it was 25 outside.
It is going through pellets a little bit quicker then I like it to. But there maybe more in the feed adjustments, not sure yet.

sydsdad said:
Ed at 4/7 on the main controls the bottom 3 setting are not even coming into play.any setting 3-9 is controlled by the board.rmw

OK, I thought I read that on another thread here. But could not go back and find the info about it.
Last night at 4/7 it got toasty in here, guess that is why it burned through so many pellets. I adjusted at 8:00 to 3/6 and put 3/4 bag in at 8:45. I want to see how long that last through out the day. I was getting really good burn rate last week, between 12 - 16 hours out of a full hopper. But last night was only about 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.